𝙳𝚎𝚊𝚛, 𝙻𝚊𝚠𝚛𝚎𝚗𝚌𝚎 ; 𝟺 ; 𝙲𝚑𝚎𝚕𝚝𝚒𝚗

Dearest Lawrence, November 20, 1887

Lawrence, I'm not sure why but it kind of... it felt a little weird to be exchanging advice with you. Some part in my was screaming, why am I trying to set you up with somebody? Since I know you will never see this, when I was younger I had a small crush on you. Around eighth grade was when it developed, you were so beautiful and still are. Of course I do not feel the same now as I am going after your sister, but I guess it still feels kind of weird. Especially since so many men between when you were 15-19 were trying to ask me to introduce you to them, and something inside of me just got protective over you. I always denied them, even now I still do it...

I'm trying, Laura. I'm trying to make you happier, because I believe most of the reason you are not is because of me not letting you be yourself, but it still disgusts me to think of you being with Koremen... I'm not sure. I must go. I need to think through everything and I need to help my dad some more. In hopes I'll figure things out,

Yours truly, Tate Tillings.

𝙸𝙸𝙸𝙸𝙸𝙸𝙸𝙸𝙸𝙸𝙸𝙸𝙸𝙸𝙸𝙸𝙸𝙸𝙸𝙸𝙸𝙸𝙸𝙸𝙸𝙸𝙸𝙸𝙸𝙸𝙸𝙸𝙸𝙸𝙸𝙸𝙸𝙸𝙸𝙸𝙸𝙸𝙸𝙸

His lips curl up into a smile, "Well isn't it Miss Lace! I did not expect to see you working in one of my shops young lady, you're destined for much more! And of course you are much too handsome to be wearing an apron all day!" He pulls me out from behind the counter by my hand, which I dusted off well enough that it is now only slightly floured.

He spins me around and takes off my apron with agile fingers, folding it and setting on top of the glass display.

He spins me around again, kissing my hand and letting me lean up on the top of my toes to kiss his cheek. "Time has treated you well Miss Lace, I remember you baking Tate, Avery, and I a divine Boston cream pie when I was in the eighth grade, how beautiful you are now."

His hand drags lightly against my cheek with a smile. "Well thank you Mister Hemmington, truly."

"Oh well Miss Lace you may call me Koremen as long as I can refer to you as your beautiful name. My cheeks fall into a blush as I bite my lip, looking down at my feet with a smile.

He grabs my chin, pushing my face up. "Well speak to me directly, May I?"

I look him in his dark green eyes and smile, "Of course you may Koremen.." I mumble.

He smirks, looking up at Cheltin and smiling. "Meet me in the office in the back Cheltin, I must set an order."

Cheltin stomps off, slightly annoyed by Koremens charm. Koremen smirks, "I will come back here tomorrow and see about a promotion for you Miss Lace, I am quite sure that you are an amazing baker. I know it."

I smile, and he squeezes my waist. "Run along."

I walk off and back into the back, listening to his order which he is asking for me to make specifically. I sigh, all the men staring at me with a death glare.

I am a good baker though...

After my shift I wait outside, under the night sky that was covered in dark gray clouds. It was drizzling and cold, but I forgot my coat this morning. I've been waiting for a while, the bakery is closed and the night has been taking over the city for at least an hour.

Tate was supposed to pick me up by horseback so I didn't have to walk home in the night on a dangerous road, but he is still not here. I tap my toe, holding the bakery items Tate has asked for in my basket. I can't steal stock either... I paid for these. But it's been too long and I've grown too cold, so I presume I must start going.