With you~ Hui pt2 (day two)

A/N: ^This entire story idea was inspired because of this one photo.

Jenette POV:

After an entire three hours of terrorizing children—hogging the swings, the top of the slide, and scaring them just a little bit— me and Hui we're hungry—tired too— but mostly hungry.

"I wannnttttt....." I whine, sulkily slumping over while leaving the rest of my sentence unfinished, wondering if Hui would be able to complete it.

'"...chicken?"

My lungs grasp a sharp slice of air, "Omg that's exactly right," I gape, covering my mouth with one hand while the other rests on my stomach. Admittedly, I'd be a little hurt if he hadn't gotten it, but having the ability to guess my food taste is—

Hui barks out a huge laugh, causing a few people strolling on the sidewalk with us to caution. "It wasn't that hard Jenette, that was your favorite food when you were little as well."

"Excuse me, if I do recall correctly— it was you who ate the most chicken." I counter, lifting and eyebrow at him and nudging him with my shoulder. Hui and I were around the same height, yet his new muscles filled out his frame, causing him to look bigger than me. A low laugh is let out from Hui, showing off how glorious his smile is—warm even.

"Is the same place open—"

A hand.

His hand.

Carefully, and subtly wraps around mine. As though we've been a couple for years and this is another one of our evening strolls on the town, hands locked in place between our sides with every once in a while— our hands accidentally brushing on one another's leg. My lips are jelly. Yet somehow I manage the strength to continue speaking.

"—open still?" .

Hui's face doesn't crack. His shoulders are squared forward as he looks ahead of us—even during the pause in my sentence. "Sadly no. BUT there is a new place across the street that I know you'll love!"

A warm brush of his finger caressing the back of my hand, earns a smile on my face.

His eyes shift and look down at me, an arrogant smile pulling at his lips. Failing to stifle the giant smile pulling at his lips,"What?"

"Huh? Oh, nothing"

"Come on now darling that just makes me more worried."

I hated how the simplest of words made my knees want to buckle and my heart fill with helium as it lifted towards the heavens. Darling was the only word that slipped out of his mouth and yet, I was becoming a mess of puddy on the sidewalk in the middle of Seoul.

Everything changed. But nothing changed. Hui was still Hui—and I certainly was still me. So this new and dangerous feeling I felt creeping up my chest scared me. I'm not scared to lose him, I'm scared that I'm not right for him. I have to leave Seoul eventually, and this can't last forever...unless....we get married...

Legally the thought makes sense but, how could I ever think to marry Hui? Matter of fact, how could I be sure he wasn't already paired with another? We were childhood friends, everything I considered to be flirty didn't have to be flirty. Most of it was just friendly...

Friends did this stuff. Just friends.

I do my best to mask whatever feelings I have for him, "I'm STARVING Hui!! Let's hurry!!"

~~~~

My tongue swirled around the bone of a chicken drumstick, savoring the flavor left on the bone. The savory tang and the warm food filling my mouth. The aroma of the room smelled of fried chicken with the small piercing delight of spicy sauce. We ordered two baskets of wings, one spicy and one traditional Korean fried chicken. I asked Hui earlier if he was sure this was enough for the both of us, but he said he'd pay for the extra baskets if not.

Hui's lips lightly smacked together, as he opened his mouth to take another bite—almost tearing half the meat straight off the bone. Mentally, I smile. Forcing my eyes to jump back to my chicken, I resume devouring it, one steaming hot bite at a time.

Not even a minute later, I feel Hui's eyes on me— concerned and curious. I know he's still worried about before, but discussing it was the farthest thing I wanted to do right now.

Inhibiting him from asking the question, I ask, "So how's the—"

Hui cuts me off—voice as sharp and piercing as a sword. "Tell me what's on your mind."

I sigh through my nose, peering at Hui from above my chicken before going in for another bite. If keeping my mouth full was the only thing allowing me to hide my feelings, then I would be gaining five pounds by tomorrow. Hui's nostrils flare, arms slump to the table, and eyes blankly burrow a hole through my forehead, unimpressed at my attempt to keep quiet.

"Ettie..."

Silence.

"Ettie."

Munch. Munch. Nibble.

Hui's head rolls forward, and I watch his shoulders raise until his body takes the same shape as a feline when on the prowl. There was no prowl. But at the same time, yes, yes there was.

"Ettie please just—"

"I think I'm falling in love with you, Hui."

Hui's eyebrows kiss together and his mouth makes a slight O-shape, "I thought you already loved me?"

Finally I decide to put down my chicken. "There's a difference. I loved you, I wasn't IN love with you..." I confess, wincing in preparation. To prepare when the result is unknown, or likely unfavorable was a skill I learned a long time ago, when I sobbed and prayed on my knees to not leave Korea, to stay here with my friends, the only home I'd ever known.

"Funny."

"No it's not," I almost yell, my voice stern, shielding the tears from cascading down my face.

Hui's eyes go wide in realization, "NO NO NOT THAT I'M SORRY!" A messy and hasty apology.

"I've just been in love with you for so long I can't believe it took you until now..."

Giggling. That's all there was for a good five minutes. Non-solicited giggles. With some munching in between—but a definite no on communication with words. There was nothing left to say, we both said exactly what the other wanted to hear, and no other words could cause a better type of sky-high feeling, than the ones that were already said.

Sky-rocketed, cloud swimming ecstasy. The words "I love you" a buzzer sending me straight into the clouds, no parachute—not a single way to come down. The clouds painted a pure white and appeared as irregular fluffed cotton balls swimming on the multi-colored sky of hues from purple to pink. There were no worries up here.

So this is love.