Chapter Twelve

"Oswyn..." Michael croaked. His throat felt as though it had been rubbed raw with sandpaper.

Oswyn's face crinkled into a bitter smile. She felt as if her blood had stopped flowing, her lungs had stopped expanding, and the giddy feeling that had encased her before had ceased. Her voice was low and quiet, but everyone heard it. "Fuck off, Michael."

-

The two blonde vampires on the floor sat up and 'ooh'd', laughing at the look on Michael's face. Dwayne raised an eyebrow, glancing between the siblings. Star glared at Oswyn as if she knew how to be scary.

"Oswyn, I-" He was cut off by another voice, decidedly cold and menacing.

"I don't think you're wanted here." David rested his chin on Oswyn's shoulder, his eyes glaring into Michael's. The brunette stared blankly at his sister. He didn't know how he should feel. Dejected? Betrayed? Angry? It was clear Oswyn didn't see him as her brother. It made sense somehow; they never acted like siblings, let alone twins.

Michael blinked, not feeling Star's hands rub his shoulders. He turned on his heel, quickly leaving the cave and standing on the top of the bluff. The smallest tint of orange kissed the horizon. It was stunning. Oswyn wouldn't get to see it ever again. She never appreciated it before, maybe she would realize her loss.

Back in the cave, there was a chilling silence. Oswyn's eyebrows creased, and her lips pursed. Discreetly, she took a deep breath and relaxed her features, slowly raising her eyes to watch as Star stormed up to where she sat.

"He's your brother, Oswyn! How could you say that out of nowhere? God, what kind of person are you?" The pretty brunette glared at Oswyn, her frizzy hair obscuring her face. "I mean what did he do to you? We were just sitting there and you said something so rude to him."

She paused, waiting for an answer, but she never got one. The blonde simply sat where she was, David's arm's pressing her body to his. Yet another silence engulfed the room.

"The sun's almost up, let's head to bed, boys." David broke the silence. Gesturing for the boys to leave. They did so, somewhat awkwardly, leaving their leader and the two girls behind. Oswyn stood abruptly, briefly escaping her mate's arms for a few seconds before he stood up and wrapped an arm around her petite figure, leading her away from Star and down a dark passageway. A few paces in the pair stopped.

"You sleeping with us tonight, Oswyn?" He tilted his head down to look at her.

And let the other boys see up my skirt? I reckon you would hate that even more than I would. She met his gaze, she looked normal.

"I suppose you won't mind sleeping on a bed from the 1900s?" He asked, leading her away from the main passage and down a pitch black side hallway.

I suppose I won't.

The darkness didn't bother Oswyn now. She could see every stone on the floor and every cobweb stretching across the ceiling. She could decipher each and every crack on the stony walls, and each shadow that scurried across the floor. It felt natural. The boys felt natural. David felt natural... She didn't need Michael. And so what if she was like her dad? He impregnated their mother after all.

Finally they reached the end of the tunnel. It opened into a decently sized cave that was littered with debris. The walls were a mixture of stone and the old wallpapered wall from the original hotel. Wooden beams and other pieces of wood and brick were scattered around. In one of the corners sat a dusty bed, clean white sheets no longer clean or white. One of the legs was broken but at least it was upright—besides, it could be propped up easily.

David stood by the entrance whilst Oswyn meandered further into the room, bending over to pick up a decent sized rock, lugging it over to the bed. She dropped it by the broken leg and looked over at the blonde in the doorway.

"You gonna come and help me, stud?" She deadpanned, her tone not flirty in the slightest. Her voice was hoarse from lack of use, but the room was deadly quiet and it wasn't hard to hear.

With a smirk, the vampire walked up to his mate, lifting the corner of the bed and shoving the rock underneath it before returning to his full height. He towered over Oswyn, admittedly she was short, but it still gave him a sense of pride.

"You're talking all of a sudden." His lips quirked up into a pleased smirk.

"I guess I am." She met his gaze, trying to gauge his intentions.

"You're probably worn out, you've had a big night." David said, his arms snaking around her waist, pulling her closer. Oswyn realized exactly what eyes he was giving her—bedroom eyes. She turned her head to look at the filthy duvet.

"I dunno how my dust allergies are going to handle that bed." The pair paused before David let go of Oswyn and yanked the blankets off the bed, a cloud of dirt billowing up into the air. Surprisingly, the sheets underneath were practically intact. "But what about my fragile mental state. I mean I just argued with my twin brother!" She continued as David enveloped her in his arms again.

"Hush, kitten. I'm gonna take real good care of you." He began stroking her knotted hair.

"Kitten? Where did that come from? The hell are you doing, David?"

He shushed her, dipping his head down so his breath tickled her neck. "Catharsis, Oswyn, catharsis." He mumbled in her ear, walking her closer to the bed until she fell back onto it.