Chapter Fifteen

Oswyn just sighed and rolled her eyes, burying her head in his shoulder, appreciating the feel of his cool skin against hers. Moment's later she felt herself being picked up like a ragdoll, held close to her mate's chest. "Suppose we should head out now, and bring those two knuckleheads to the boardwalk on the way."

"Suppose so."

-

Blonde hair whipped around in the wind, the strands reflecting the odd spot of moonlight. Slim, pale fingers clutched the fabric of a black shirt. The silent air of the rural edges of Sanat Carla was punctuated by the roaring of a motorcycle. The growl of the engine seemed to ruffle the leaves on the trees it passed. That sound spelled trouble for the oldest of the Emmerson siblings, and this time it was no different.

The Lost Boys were at his house... but there was only one engine. Why? David. Michael had to get out of the house, whether to confront David or get away from him he didn't know. As he headed for the front door something inside of him twinged angrily. Who did David think he was? He corrupted his sister, and tried to corrupt him too.

His thoughts were interrupted as he opened the front door. In front of him stood a middle aged man in some gray suit and tacky patterned tie, his hair gelled neatly on top of his head.

"Hey, how are you doing? You must be Michael, right?" The man said, making Micahel scoff to himself.

"And you must be Max," his lips curled up into a sneer. It would be ironic from an outward perspective to see the teenager acting so much like the blonde vampire he claimed to despise.

Max smiled at the boy, offering him his hand for a handshake, but the boy just stood still, looking him over with distaste. The older man was not perturbed, and instead straightened his back and took a step back.

"Well, you're the man of the house, and I'm not coming in until you invite me." There was a moment of quiet before Michaal spoke again.

"You're invited," he sneered, then Max shuffled past him and the interaction was over. The teenager rolled his eyes at his retreating figure before stepping off the porch and onto the driveway. He was about to climb onto his motorbike when he heard the gentle crunch of gravel. The sound was nearly inaudible, as if the person was walking on eggshells and not gravel. He looked down the drive to the gate to see an almost ghostly figure heading towards the house. Her long blonde hair looked silver in the moonlight, wafting around her head as if she were an angel. Michael knew his sister was anything but.

Abandoning his bike, the boy stomped over to her, blocking her path to the house. There were a few moments of silence as the twins stared each other down, two bulls butting horns. Deciding it was not worth her time, Oswyn slipped past her brother, only to be yanked back by the wrist.

"Why are you here, Oswyn?" the brunette asked, his eyebrows furrowed and his voice gruff.

"Picking up some stuff," she said, baffling Michael. Her voice was clear and strong, although quiet. How had the girl gone from hardly speaking two words a month to stringing together full sentences without a cough or stumble. Taking advantage of her brother's confusion, she slipped by him and into the house.

With a moody sigh and a grumble he turned around again to face his bike. He swung his leg over the side and revved the engine to life, slowly wheeling down the gravel until he reached the gate. The second he looked up to unhook the latch his eyes met a pair of icy blue ones. The eyes of the person he least wanted to see in that moment. God, screw David.

Inside the house Oswyn had managed to slip past all the commotion and into her room. She quickly shoved some more skirts, tank tops, and underwear into a bag, along with a jacket and a few of her books. Taking one last look at her room (that she had barely spent 24 hours in), Oswyn pulled the backpack over her shoulder. Her sandal clad feet were practically silent on the stairs, but she found herself stuck as her only route out the kitchen door was blocked by the dining room. Inside stood her mother kissing a man. She would just go through the front door...

"Oswyn! There you are, I feel like I've hardly seen you since we came here. Join us for dinner." Lucy begged with her daughter. Since her husband had left her she found herself scrambling to form a relationship with the girl. So far she had been unsuccessful, but it didn't deter her from trying. "This is Max."

The blonde teen looked the man up and down. She had heard the boys mention a "Max" in her brief time with them. So this was the head vampire, this was who was technically her adopted father. She paused for a moment before realizing that she didn't want a new dad... step, adopted, or otherwise.

Oswyn ignored Max and shook her head at her mother. "I'm not hungry."

Lucy was taken aback at her daughter's words, not that the sentence was a strange one, but simply that she said it. The girl had always confided with her father, and after he left she had hardly spoken to her mother. She wanted to take advantage of this—maybe the girl was opening up?

"You don't need to eat but would you like to join us?" She sighed as the girl shook her head with a soft "no." The woman was about to give up when she noticed the backpack slung over her shoulder. "Where are you going?"

"Out." She said simply, her bored expression still a refreshing change from her usual apathetic stare.

"With all that stuff?" Lucy's expression was pleading, as if she knew her daughter was leaving for good.

"Yes," and with that the girl turned her heel, hightailing it out of the room. Within a mere second of escaping the dining room, Oswyn ran into something or really someone.