Part thirty three

"Hotchner" Aaron answering the phone was the first thing you heard that morning, the sun was barely up so you knew it had to be early, too early. You can her a woman's voice on the phone and he softens a bit before ending the call.

"Is it a case?" you ask sadly

"Not really" he sounded distant, almost as if he was hiding "But I have to go" you watch him get ready before placing a very quick kiss on your lips "See you later, love you" and with that he was out

"Love you too?" you say to nobody, laying back down not sure if you were more confused or tired.

Hours later your own alarm rings so you get ready for your day at the BAU, since you guys had just wrapped up a case it was a paperwork day so you just dug into the stack of files and worked. You still hadn't heard a single word from Aaron and that was making you a bit anxious but you decided to ignore it.

Once it was time to leave you grabbed your things and headed to Hotchner's office, you knocked and entered. He barely acknowledged just giving you a soft smile before focusing again on his paperwork.

"Hey" you start softly "are you coming home?"

"Not right now, I'm gonna take long tonight, sorry"

"Oh, okay. I love you"

"I love you too y/n, goodnight" oh well that was a fun interaction between the two of you. At home you take a long shower and then pour yourself a glass of wine, trying not to overthink how distant Hotch acted today. You waited up for as long as you could but eventually you fell asleep.

This is pretty much how your week went. Every night you would sleep alone and when you woke up Aaron would be long gone, your anxiety was through the roof and your mind was filled with paranoia. On Friday you didn't even say goodbye, you just left the office and got home, already taking the wine out of the fridge when you heard a knock at the door and when you opened it you saw Jessica and Jack standing there.

"Y/N!" the little boy ran to your arms and you meet his aunt's cold gaze

"Y/n, where is Aaron?"

"Oh, he was hm.... Running a little late tonight but he'll be home soon" or at least I hope he will, you force her a smile and she hesitantly leaves.

"Buddy why don't you watch some cartoons and I'll make you some dinner. How does mac n' cheese sound?" he smiles and nods before running off to the tv, you start prepping the food while calling Hotchner's cell but obtaining no answer whatsoever.

After dinner you helped Jack take a bath and read a story before tucking him in

"Y/n?" he asks with a soft voice "Is my daddy okay?

"Yes honey, he is fine. He just got a little caught up with work, I'm sorry"

"It's fine, I like spending time with you" he gives you a hug, and your heart fills with joy

"I'm glad you had fun buddy, have a good night!"

"Goodnight y/n, I love you" you feel tears form in your eyes

"I love you too honey." Turning off the lights you close the door and immediately text the girls telling you about your latest interaction with Jack feeling absolute bliss until you remember the fact that you haven't spoken to Hotch all week. In a desperate motion you grab your phone and call Emily, asking her to come over, and minutes later your friend arrives home only to find you sitting on the couch with a bottle of wine in hand and tears in your eyes.

"He's cheating on me Em" you hand her a glass while she sits by your side "Aaron is cheating on me, first he gets a call from a mysterious woman and then he practically doesn't come home for a whole fucking week, and today he left me here alone with Jack without notice and hasn't answered any of my calls" you are stumbling on your words, the alcohol finally starting to kick in

"Woah, look I understand you might be mad but I am sure he has a good explanation for being a dick this past few days. Y/n that man loves you so much I don't think he would do something like that, you just need to talk to him, okay?" you nod "do you want me to wait here with you?"

"Yes please" you lay you head on her lap, the tv was on and some cliché romance movie was playing so you eventually drifted off to sleep, with Prentiss playing with your hair.

It was around three in the morning when you finally heard the front door open, making you both jump up, a little spooked. Aaron came in, his tie hanging loosely on his neck and his hair messy, if you weren't pissed at him, you'd say he looked hot.

"I'm gonna go" Emily kisses your chick and shoots Hotch a look only he knew what it meant it was Prentiss way of saying 'you fucked up, fix it' and he had been getting those looks from his friend ever since they met. After she left Aaron took a moment to look at you, he saw your eyes a little puffy and the sadness flashing on them, he saw a couple toys on the floor and his eyes widen. He forgot Jessica was dropping Jack off in the afternoon.

"Nice of you to finally show up." your voice is cold and filled with rage

"Sorry"

"Oh no Hotchner, sorry won't do it. Not when I spent an entire week alone, without a single word from you and then Jessica shows up here with Jack and I have no fucking clue of where you were or what I was supposed to do. You didn't answer any of my calls while your son was here asking for his daddy." Your voice was slightly higher and that last word rolled out of your tongue like poison. "I am going to bed and I suggest you think about something better than 'sorry' to say" with that you slam the door and enter the bedroom, crying all the tears you held back all week.

You woke up early the next morning, checking to see if Jack was alright and then heading to the kitchen, your head was pounding from all the crying. Hotch was already up waiting for you with a mug of coffee on his hand.

"Hey" he says softly "Look, I owe you an apology but most importantly an explanation on why I was just a jerk this week. First of all, I am sorry about leaving Jack with you yesterday."

"Aaron, I don't mind staying with him, I would just have appreciated a little warning" his eyes were apologetic

"I know baby I am so so sorry." He takes your hand "As for the long nights this week I-" he is interrupted by the doorbell ringing

"Aaron? Are you home? It's Beth"