part 62

«─────── « ⋅ʚ♡ɞ⋅ » ────────»

My fingers clenched tightly around the trigger, as I tried to contain my loud breaths from seeping out. "Shit." I grunted, scurrying away and pulling my knees up closer to my chest, crawling away from the scene.

The lightest impact of footprints chased behind me, drawing closer with every passing second. When I tried to escape, the tied-ribbon of my swimsuit hooked around a piece of annoying mental. It frayed and tore slightly, exposing my hiding spot.

Tomura jumped out from behind the corner, Hikaru running too fast for his own good. I laughed out loud, dodging the flying jets of water which were rapidly heading towards my direction. "Now I've got you!" Tomura yelled, spotting one of my blind areas and stabbing against my skin with the sharp water.

Hikaru cheered his father on, dancing and raising his chubby arms high up to the sky. "Yay!" he celebrated my defeat. He was only four, the years had gone by so fast.

I stood up, patting down the pesky rocks and mud which had dirtied my outfit. "Oh, we aren't done yet!" I yelled. Hikaru tried to run away, eventually tripping over and planting down onto his round stomach.

"You should be cheering me on instead, huh?" I giggled, poking my nose into the rolls of Hikaru's skin. Slinging the four year old over my shoulder, I lightly spanked the back of his jelly thighs as we laughed in sync.

The bright sun beamed down onto us, the heat undeniable. The three, no, five of us were all having a fun day at the pool. Tomura's swim-trunks were dampened, his water-gun empty and dying to be refilled.

I looked up at the blue sky, barely being able to open my eyes due to the intensity. Covering over my wet lids with my hands, I then brought Hikaru back down to my chest. "Did you remember to put on his sunscreen?" I asked Tomura, who was in charge of prepping Hikaru.

Cashew lounged in the shade, while Almond spent his time patrolling the edges of the chlorinated pool. "Yeah, why?" Tomura responded, as I gently allowed Hikaru back down onto the concrete below.

The hyper toddler ran towards his father, his cherry tongue sticking out of his slobbery mouth. Hikaru was filled with energy, I was surprised that Tomura was able to keep up with his opposite. "Oh." Tomura realized, noticing that all the sunscreen had been washed or wiped off.

I turned around for one second, checking if our lunch was ready to be served. It was a platter of hotdogs and homemade burgers, the kind of food that tasted so much better after a pool day. "Mhm." I adjusted the cooking food, flipping over the juicy patties on the heated grill. "Can you add another layer?"

"But we're.." the two of them said, causing me to turn around and tilt my head. "Hungry!" they synchronized, circling over their tummies with the palms of their hand and opening their mouth.

There was a slight pause, before I broke out in hysterical laughter. Hikaru was basically a younger version of Tomura, his jet-black hair inching towards the same shoulder-length. With another set of crimson eyes and the lushest eyelashes, he only lacked the intensity of Tomura's forehead wrinkles.

Hikaru had a form of eczema, but nothing compared to his father's. While Tomura never told me the origin of his wrinkles, I believed they were caused by the trauma and stress he went through. Maybe that's why Hikaru's wasn't severe, almost nonexistent even.

"Did you practice that?" I asked, finally deciding to shut off the cooking grill.

"Ask him." Tomura pointed towards the toddler, who was able to stand and talk on his own. He was smart, maybe even smarter than me when I was his age.

"Yeah!" Hikaru smiled, exposing his pearly rows of baby teeth. The two of them crowded around the table, both of our family pets rushing over beneath Hikaru's soft feet. I jokingly groaned, before setting up their serving plates.

Tomura and Hikaru instantly dug into their meals, refusing to savor the juicy meat and puffed patty. At least they were adding some food into that empty system of theirs, they had been wrestling and playing for what seemed to be the entire morning.

The sound of sizzling leftovers and the heartwarming aroma of homecooked meals made my knees melt, I couldn't wait to dig in as well. Quickly creating my very own custom burger, I then sat beside Tomura who was already done with his meal.

Hikaru was seen copying his father, trying to inhale down the food. "Hikaru, baby?" I requested with a soft voice. "Don't eat like that, you might choke!"

It took him a while to understand what I was saying, before a final nod confirmed it for me. The five of us enjoyed each other's company, never wanting to stray away. Everything was swell, until all hell decided to break lose.

A wild sob made me jump, just as I was about to take another bite from my food. "Mama.." Hikaru wailed, instantly making me slide out from my chair. A pile of fine dust laid against the top of the table, before flying away and waltzing with the current of the breeze.

Tomura was in shock, all the traumatizing memories flooding back. "G-Get the gloves, Tomura!" I commanded, Hikaru's form of decay being much stronger than Tomura's. It exceeded past our expectations, corrupting things to dust in a matter of short-timed seconds.

He ran inside the house, searching desperately for the same pair of rubber gloves that he used to use. I didn't want to go near Hikaru, hating to admit that I was scared for my own life. But this was a different scenario, and I wasn't going to let Hikaru's awakening of a quirk be so looked down upon.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to." Hikaru cried, regretting using his quirk, even though it was accidental. He had turned his favorite plate to dust, the one he used everyday.

"I know baby, you didn't mean to." I comforted, patting down the toddler's stiff back. "Daddy will be here soon, okay?"

"Everything will be okay."

⋆﹥━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━﹤⋆

authors note; 光る (hikaru) - to shine

artwork by: Ai_Shinobi on Twitter
words: 1057