part 65

«─────── « ⋅ʚ♡ɞ⋅ » ───────»

It was now January 2nd, Hikaru's fifth birthday. I anxiously tapped my foot against the bottom of the door, impatiently waiting for Tomura and Hikaru to finish dressing. "He's just going to wear a hoodie, so what's taking so long?" I asked, referring to Tomura.

Stomping noises could be heard down the carpeted stairwell, alerting me that the two of them had arrived. My eyes instantly focused on Hikaru, who was wearing the most hideous outfit I've ever seen. "Tomura-" I was about to laugh.

"Don't even try." he knew what I was going to say. Tonight, Tomura was in charge of dressing Hikaru, and look at how that unfortunately turned out.

The two of us were heading down to the lake, despite the freezing winter temperature. Hikaru loved the lake, our small family going swimming every summer. With a neon green shirt, paired with hot pink pants, Hikaru was dressed to the max.

"Are we gonna swim?" he asked, tugging on the bottom of my skirt.

Tomura unlocked the door behind me, as I patted down and ruffled Hikaru's raven hair. "Not today, baby. It's too cold!"

"I'll teach you how to catch frogs." Tomura interrupted, making me gasp and stare back at him.

"Where did you learn how to do that?" I laughed, Hikaru nuzzling his face into my thigh.

"The internet, of course." the door finally unlocked, allowing us to head outside. Tonight's weather wasn't so bad, especially if that annoying cloud of goosebumps hadn't rained over me yet. Hikaru walked in the middle of us, holding hands and happily entwining his fingers with ours.

"Look, look! I'm gonna do a kick!" Hikaru warned, before jumping up and extending his legs into the air, slicing through like a heated knife. I could barely catch his fall, the kid was growing up.

After a few minutes of walking, the three of us had arrived at the lake. Tall willow trees were hit by the wind, their unique leaves dancing away under the gleaming moon. None of us would be swimming tonight, not in that swamp of frogs and arctic water.

I took a deep breath of air, hearing Hikaru follow after me. He ran towards the shore, desperately trying to resist sticking his toes in the water. The lake smelt like fresh lemongrass, all sorts of flora and wildlife flourishing here.

We hadn't brought lights, since the moonlight was enough. Shining its blue hues down at the wispy grass, I set down the picnic blanket we had packed. After sliding off my sandals, the pact soil underneath tickled the soles of my feet, making me giggle.

I laid underneath the stars, adjusting my body so I perfectly fit atop the separating blanket. Tomura and Hikaru played together, tossing rocks against the crystal lake and measuring how many skips it took until sunken.

Both of their shoes were off, making me worry about the many species of worms and parasites that could surely dig into their skin. I couldn't fear for long, because here came Hikaru, chasing back and running across the clean mat.

"Hey! Keep your dirty feet off the clean blanket." I laughed at the energetic toddler, who was playing tag with his father.

Tomura stood behind me, circling his long finger over the top of my head. "Join us." he knelt down beside me, locking his sparkling crimson eyes with mine.