Chapter Breakdown - Blockers

I wanted to give more depth to my concept of 'Blockers'-

"I wanted this one day, I really did, but at this point, I just wanted to be held, by her mostly, but I know this isn't right. I've been here before, they're standing right in front of me and so are all their sins, but we can't see it because that is one of the truths we blind ourselves to.

Through love or stupidity, or both if that mattered, blinding us to only see that dumb cheeky smile they have, or those freckles you swore grew the more you saw them, that blond hair they always covered with a brown hat that they finally took off a change you didn't know you wanted back to normal or those stupid green emerald eyes that didn't shine as bright as they use to, and those three words you nearly told them.

Yeah, them."

This is my favorite quote from the chapter and I wanted to go into more dept as to what it means. So what are blockers?

Something I simply made up to show how we view people in the world. Let's say you cut yourself on a blade that you didn't see. Not only do you know where the blade is now, but you can see the blood the blade still has on it to remind you that it's not safe to touch, this is a blocker, but this is a conversation about people, not a blade. When you have interaction with something, you may create a blocker around it, but a blocker isn't something that you can always see.

In this cause, the blinder to a blocker is love. Love is a blinder to a blocker, just like the quote "Love is blind." A negative interaction with someone you love could be harder to see as that love is blinding you to the truth. Same with family, having a negative interaction with a family member may cause you to take longer to see why that interaction was negative.

The world has created blockers, some good and some bad. Blockers aren't always something you know your blocking. Race, to some people, is a blocker. It stops you from not seeing the person because of the blocker, and we all know that just because you have one negative interaction with one person of a race doesn't mean you judge the entire race.

Blockers prevent you from looking deeper within that person, to not be about to see the soul of the person, but just their physical selves. Which is why in the quote, Rarity can't see Applejack, she can only see her physical form. She's so blind by the pain that she felt from Applejack's actions and is frustrated by her sexuality that she doesn't see the Applejack who hurt her, she sees the physical form of what she fell in love with.

Blockers are real, we put them up to block us away from the person, maybe in an act of protection from hurt, or something else. In toxic relationships, you put up blockers to what you cannot see, that's why they continue to guide you away from the person inside a person.

Things like "But he's a really nice friend," or "I know she would never mean to do that," are blockers you blind yourself to.

Blockers can be self-reflective, and the media plays a big part in things like that. Blockers can have positive and negative effects, a positive way a blocker can work is if you have a negative interaction with someone and choose not to see that person. A negative blocker can work when you have a negative interaction with someone but something positive makes you blind to the blockers.

This is a concept that I wanted to speak on recently to show the deeper meaning in that quote.