As the Water Dries Up

We were all pacing around the living room, my parents were off at work like usual. 

Are nerves were through the ruff as our chest were rising up and down. We had left school for this so it was obviously super important. "Just open them, alright?" Atticus said but it came off more as a question or a plea. 

We all looked at Quincy and he growled in annoyance. "Why the hell are you looking at me?!" he bellowed and everyone continued awkwardly looking at him for a good thirty seconds

"Because.... It's your college acceptance letters," PJ answered and we all nodded our heads in agreement. 

Quincy gave PJ dagger eyes. 

Is he back on those roids?

Don't even joke like that. 

Who said I was joking....

"I know, but everyone looking at me makes me nervous!" he whined and I snorted a little, posing a point. 

"You literally are the Quarterback of our high school football team! How are you nervous with eyes on you?" I questioned, looking at him with confusion, but then Auggie added some crippling positivity.

"Exactly! You are the quarterback... there's no fucking way, you won't get into them." 

We all nodded our heads, agreeing with Auggie. Quincy took a deep breath... He grabbed one letter from a university and started to tear into it. 

"What school is that?" Auggie asked and Quincy shrugged. 

"I don't wanna know until, I open it up." he answered and we all stopped our pacing, and looked at the letter like it was an atomic bomb. 

He opened it and said a little above a whisper, "It's from Tulane." 

We nodded our heads and waited. "I got in, but no scholarship." he deadpanned and we rolled our eyes and scoffed. 

"Ew."

"That's a no."

"Fuck Tulane then!"

"It's okay..." 

He flung the paper to the side as if it was unimportant, which at this point, it really was. 

He blindly grabbed another letter and ripped it open, this time he was more eager. Quincy looked at the logo on the left hand side of the paper and this time he whispered, "It's from LSU..." 

My eyes widened and my heart sank through my toes. This is it... The school that made the most sense. If he didn't get into this one, then he wouldn't be going to any school in Louisiana. 

While that is not a bad thing, I was really hoping he would stay close and I think he did too. 

He started to read the letter and we watched his eyes scan though the letter. Quincy's eyes shut tightly for a second and then they opened.