Prologue

Prologue

It was totally clear for me, that he plays in a totally different Ligue then I am. The way he shined was so bright, he was just like the sun, even when we were just little kids.

I never glowed; I never was this strong. He was so much powerful even before his awakening. I am just shy and reluctant. It was remarkable, that he even wanted to be my friend back in those days.

He is older than me, therefore his awakening happened earlier. He was just 16 Years old, pretty normal age when you awake. I never expected that he would be a low rank. And he wasn't. He was an A Rank.

Almost the strongest hunters out there. Only S Ranks are better. And a magician type too. Magicians are even in lower ranks damn strong.

Did he decide to go into these risky dungeons? Of course. As an A Rank you are extremely powerful and earn a lot of money in dungeons. Everyone looks up to you. You would be a hero. High Rank Hunters feel responsible to go into dungeons. You don't have to go of course. But others will lampoon you if you wouldn't. You must make humanity feel save.

Since his awakening was first, he promised me a long time ago he would go in those dungeons with me when my awakening happened.

But he didn't, not at any time. Not everyone will be awakened, and I almost gave up my dream.

He made a lot of strong new friends in these Dungeons, joined a powerful guild. He wouldn't even needed me anymore, but he still met me every single week.

Wasn't I useless for him? I wasn't awakened, he had a lot of stronger friends, who would encourage him, support him and helped him. I was just useless. And then finally at the age of 18, I did awake.

The first dungeon that ever appeared was in Stuttgart, Germany almost 20 years ago. With those cells, hunters randomly awaked almost immediately.

Only a few weeks later dungeons were almost everywhere. People tried to figure out what these dungeons are, but until today nobody knows. Where they come from, why these monsters want to kill us and so on.

I was a year old, when all this happened. My father awaked at this time and felt responsible to help our country in this situation. When I turned three, he died. I barely remember him.

At that time nobody knew about Ranks. They only knew that some awakened were stronger and some were weaker, but still stronger than normal humans. My father was maybe a D or E Rank. He wouldn't stay a chance in a A or B Dungeon. And you can't level up just like in a video game. If you are a D Rank you will stay a D Rank forever.

However, nobody knew he was too weak since he was still an awakened, he went into a higher dungeon and never came back. If a dungeon was entered and not cleaned within a week, those monsters will enter our world and kill us all.

When I was five, they figured out these ranks assessed by the magical power of someone measured with a new made measurement. You can also measure dungeons and therefore we were grouped.

S Ranks are the strongest, E the weakest.

He was an A Rank. I turned my back towards him when I awoke. I would just be ballast for him. He wouldn't need me anymore. I was useless.

I was an E Rank.