v. the rhodes not taken

Season One. Episode Five. The Rhodes Not Taken

THE GLEE CLUB WERE CURRENTLY REHEARSING DON'T STOP BELIEVIN' FOR WHAT FELT LIKE THE MILLIONTH TIME. Nobody was particularly in the mood and Ruby Carter couldn't be serious when she was with Finn Hudson if her life depended on it. Especially seeing as she had been given the female lead since Rachel's dramatic exit from the glee club the other week and she had to look at Finn like he hung the moon and the stars.

Which he definitely did; he maybe a bit on the dopey side but he was the best person in her life and she didn't know how to live life without having her trusty side kick by her side. Wrapping an arm around each other's waists as they spun; Ruby sputtered out another laugh as Finn looked her directly in the eye with a teasing smirk, as they sang causing the rest of the group to groan.

"I swear to god Princess! I know it's natural to laugh when you see Hudson's face but if we don't make it to the end of his number I'm going to strangle you!" Puck shot at the two of them.

"Sorry! Promise it won't happen again. Once more guys!" Ruby shouted to raise morale as she clocked the tired faces of their friends.

"From the top!" Mr Schue shouted and gestured for the band to start the song again.

Finn and Ruby went through the choreography as they sang. Ruby determined not to laugh at Finn's concentration face as he tried to sing and dance at the same time despite this one hundred percent being as basic as they could be be in terms of choreography. Wrapping her arm around his waist they harmonised as they circled around one another "For a smile they can share the night. It goes on and on, and on, and on!"

Spinning her under his arm; Ruby continued to spin out and into the group of boys as they continued to sing. "Strangers. Waiting. Up and down the Boulevard. Their shadows searching in the night. Streetlight people, living just to find emotion. Hiding somewhere in the night!"

Twirling in between Mike and Matt, Ruby whipped her head round to send Finn a grin and found he was already beaming in her direction. When Quinn pushed past him to rush out of the choir room with her hand over her mouth. The smiles instantly falling from their faces as they watched her run out.

"Quinn are you okay?" Mr Schue called after her.

"I think she just ate a bad breakfast burrito!" Finn blurted out unconvincingly.

Ruby instantly cringed at his cover up and prayed she was subtle enough that the boys around her didn't notice.

***

MR SHUE HAD BROUGHT IN AN OLD FRIEND OF HIS TO HELP OUT THE GLEE CLUB. And in the midst of fawning over just how amazing April Rhodes; the somewhat boozy blonde was, he had given her Ruby's lead for the invitational. Ruby wasn't completely bothered by the fact someone else was singing lead because she knew it'd be Rachel's if she was here but she wasn't exactly pleased that it was at the expense that Mr Schue clearly fancied April Rhodes.

Ruby rolled her eyes at yet another member of the glee club ramble on about how awesome they thought April was and that she could definitely stay all because she helped them shoplift some sunglasses or because they thought she was hot. 

The latter was obviously Puck and just when she started to tolerate him a little more as the days went on. He pulled himself straight back to square one where Ruby wanted to punch him in the face every time he opened his mouth.