ushiten: pixie

Ushijima was tending to his plants. He liked plants. It was a nice hobby- to have a garden. It kept him busy and entertained when he had nothing else to do. Except he always had something to do, because of this garden.

In fact, more recently, something had gotten strange with a certain bunch of the spinach plants, and that was keeping him very busy. He wasn't sure what it was, and normally he would know exactly what the issue was.

The soil, perhaps? No, Ushijima had switched out the soil two times and they still weren't getting better. The watering? No, Ushijima had made sure to water them exactly as much as he watered the healthy spinach plants. Something was different and he had no clue what it could possibly be.

As he went to bed that night, he noticed a piece of paper laying on the small table bedside his bed. It read:

Your spinach plants are dying.

Give up on them!

I will try not to ruin any others...

Ushijima was confused. He knew his spinach plants were far too gone to be saved anymore. But why did this person ruin them in the first place? What did they mean, try not to ruin any others? And who even was this person?

He went to bed with a lot on his mind.

- - -

The next morning was very strange. There were things in Ushijima's house that had begun sparkling. He had no idea why. It was as if fairies had infested his home and begun claiming things as theirs.

As silly as it sounded, Ushijima was beginning to believe that thought.

So, that night- after a day of doing what the note said, and giving up on that bunch of spinach- he wrote on a piece of paper:

Things in my house are glowing.

Is this your doing? Or someone whom you might know?

I've been wondering if it's fairies. If you are a fairy, is it possible that I can meet you?

If you are not a fairy, I would still like to meet you.

- - -

He'd had a difficult time going to sleep, in anticipation of what a note in return might say. But eventually, he'd fallen into slumber, tired from working on removing the dying plants all day long.

When he awoke, his note- and the note from before- were still on his bedside table. Except now, another note joined it. It read:

I'm surprised you even noticed...

Yes it was me. Your flower pot needed more excitement

A fairy??? I am nothing of the sort! Disgusting of you to even compare us

I will be out in your garden all day as usual. Join me by the spring onions.

Ushijima wasn't sure how he'd missed them before, if they were out in his garden every day. Perhaps they really were a fairy, but were just ashamed to be one. Ushijima didn't want to keep the fairy- or whatever it was- waiting. So, he grabbed his gardening boots and went out to the garden.