Chapter 12

Season 3: Episode 9

Two months. Two months have gone by since the night in the bar with Erin. We can work together, and it is not awkward. She has tried to talk to me so we can fix things, I'm just not ready yet.

Adam and I got sent over to the coroner's office to find something on the body and severed head found in the Chicago River. We got out of the car and started to head inside.

"So how long are you going to continue to punish Erin?" Adam asked quietly.

I turned and glared at him "Adam don't start please."

He sighs and holds the door for me, "I just want you to be happy and I know you aren't happy with her not in your life."

Ignoring his comment because he's right we walked to the ME's office. Adam knocked on the door.

As we walk in, she smiles at us "Good news. Both head and body belong to the same person."

"Was there any doubt?" Adam questions as I elbow him in the side.

"The pieces they pull from the Chicago River, you never know. She was early 20s. And water decomps are tough to pinpoint." She responds glaring towards Adam.

"Ballpark time of death?" I ask trying to distract her from Adam.

"Best guess, your victim died a week ago from strangulation as indicated by the fractured hyoid in the victim's neck." She says handing me the papers.

"These holes aren't gunshot wounds?" I question as I handed the papers to Adam to look at.

"You're right. They were made by a power drill. Whoever killed this girl knew what they were doing. They drilled holes so the body would sink." She says looking down at the body with a drown.

I sigh, "Just get us something, anything we can use to ID her." I say as we walk out and back to the car.

"Do you have to be such a dumbass?" I ask as we get in the car looking at him with a smirk.

He laughs at me as he drives away and heads back to the district.

I was sitting at my desk texting Kelly about dinner plans with Matt and Gabby when Erin comes walking up the whiteboard.

"M.E. was able to pull a couple usable prints off our victim's hand. ID came back as Victoria Wasson, 26. She was in the system for simple possession." Erin said putting her picture up on the board.

Jay stands next to her, "She used to be a dancer at the strip club Deluxe."

"It's up on Kingsbury. Raided it a few times when I was in VICE. It's an Outfit joint, totally protected." Antonio says looking towards dad.

"So, Victoria saw something she wasn't supposed to, and the Outfit killed her for it." Adam questions.

"Give the way the body was drilled full of holes so it would sink, that's a strong possibility." I say as I lean against Adam's desk.