chapter nineteen

Jessica is at Brendan's house with all 4 of her friends. Tamera and Jared are sitting on the floor, their backs against the couch. Alanna is cuddled by herself, under a blanket, on the couch, and Jessica and Brendan are slouching against each other, snacking on the pack of Twizzlers they got.

"Why are we watching this? Don't you hate your dad?" Tamera asks the Scott girl.

"Yeah, but who doesn't wanna watch their father ruin their older brother's life for the trillionth time." Jessica sarcastically says.

"I wouldn't." Alanna mutters.

"It's sarcasm, Lanna." Jessica sighs.

"I know, but, still. Why don't we just watch, like, The Little Mermaid or She's the Man or something?" Alanna asks.

"Because I wanna watch this. Besides, my whole entire family is. I might as well, anyway." Jessica mumbles.

Alanna sighs, deciding to not argue with her.

"My guest tonight's grown rather infamous over the last few weeks. Her name is Renee Richardson, and she's nearly 4 months pregnant. And she claims that this NBA player is the father of her unborn child. That player happens to be my son. They say that truth is the best vindication against slander. So what is the truth? Is she lying, or am I about to become a grandfather again? We'll meet her and hear her story when we come back... believe nothing just because a wise man said it or you read it in a book or it's of divine origin or simply because your mother told you. It doesn't make it true. Believe only what you yourself can test and judge to be true. Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome my guest, Renee Richardson."

Renee walks onto the stage and sits in the opposite chair.

"Hi, Renee." Dan greets.

"Hi. Thank you for having me." Renee says.

"She's pretty. Crazy looking as all hell, but... pretty. We're gonna talk about a lot of things tonight, but just to set the stage, can you tell us a little bit about the night of the alleged affair, the first time you met Nathan?" Dan asks.

"Um, we had been to a lot of the same parties and clubs, but we hadn't really been introduced." Renee recalls.

"And that was, what, nearly four months ago?" Dan asks.

"Um, that's right. Uh, I remember because it was the night of the Memphis game, and Nathan scored his season high that night. 35 points, 11 assists, and 6 boards." She says.

~ ~ ~

"Let's back up a little bit to when you were younger. We did our research and found you were once a cheerleader." Dan says.

"Uh, yes." Renee nods.

"And a homecoming queen... and, more recently, a hostess in a club." Dan says.

"Uh, yes, but there was no nudity or anything." Renee declares.

"I understand. My wife was a stripped-- a little nudity. Have you ever been married?" Dan asks.

"He's married?" Jessica asks.