chapter thirty-three

warning: rape

Jessica is eating breakfast when Haley comes downstairs.

"Hey. What are you doing for Valentine's Day?" Haley asks.

"Well, as the only single person in this family, I was thinking I'd take a nice walk around town, eat out. And then come home and cuddle my pillow while I fall asleep to whatever movie I decide to put on." Jessica says.

"You could tag along with me and Nathan. We're just renting a movie." Haley tells her.

"Yeah, no, I'm good." Jessica mumbles, knowing of Nathan's surprise for Haley. "I'll stick to my Alone Day."

"You sure?" Haley asks.

"Yep. I'm gonna get started on it now, actually." Jessica says, putting her dishes in the sink and leaving.

+++

Jessica spent the morning just walking around, her anxiety of Jonathan causing her to continuously look over her shoulder. It's mid afternoon and Tamera texted her, saying she should come to her work. Jessica reaches it, faltering when she sees it's where Jonathan worked.

Jessica takes a deep breath before going in. Tamera is behind the counter and looks up at the sound of the bell, smiling when she sees her friend.

"Hey, girl." Tamera greets.

"Hey. When'd you get this job?" Jessica asks, sitting on a seat.

"Oh, about two weeks ago. Before we got the moving news." Tamera says. "Figured I'd keep it as long as possible so I can have some money."

"When are you moving?" Jessica asks.

"Two weeks." Tamera answers. "We're packing and everything. Getting rid of stuff we don't need, trying to make the load smaller."

"Smart." Jessica says.

"Hey, so... I'm sorry I haven't really talked to you lately. And just so you know, I didn't believe Brendan when he said you were cheating. I mean, they were just bruises, right?" Tamera asks.

"Right." Jessica mutters.

"There's no way you'd cheat on Brendan. You were practically in love with him." Tamera says.

"Yeah." Jessica sighs. "So, uh, when do you get off?"

"Oh, not until like 11." Tamera rolls her eyes. "Luckily I'm single so it doesn't really matter anyway."

"Yeah, we seem to be in the same boat." Jessica says. "Relationship wise, not work wise."

"Hey, you wanna grab an apron and help out, feel free." Tamera jokes. Jessica has to force a laugh.

"I-I'm good." She says.

+++