chapter thirty-one

It's been a few days since the storm and Jessica is doing a bit better, but her head still hurts some. Nathan knew she was taking a bit of time to recover from everything, but if she doesn't come to him by the end of the week, he's going to confront her about whatever she wanted to talk about.

Luckily, one afternoon after making sure he wasn't doing anything, Jessica dragged Nathan to her room.

"Couldn't talk in the kitchen?" Nathan asks, trying to ease obvious tension radiating off of his sister.

"Okay, so, um... I'm gonna show you some stuff... and you can't go murder anybody." Jessica tells him. "Yet, anyways. Because I need to tell you everything before you go and get arrested."

"I promise to let you finish talking, but I don't promise not to have any thoughts of murder." Nathan declares.

"Fair enough." Jessica mumbles. She opens her bottom desk drawers and takes the pictures and couple of notes out, hiding the front of them from Nathan.

"Okay, so, um, you know those giant envelopes in the mail that I would get and I told you they were just from my friends and inside jokes?" Jessica asks.

"Yeah." Nathan nods.

"Yeah, I was lying." Jessica says.

Jessica hesitantly places the pictures and notes on her bed. Nathan's eyes widen as his jaw drops at everything.

"What in the hell is this?" Nathan asks with a glare.

"Um... I got a stalker." Jessica says nervously.

"What the hell? Why didn't you tell me?" Nathan asks.

"I... I was scared. And then he made me meet up with him an-and then that's when he started blackmailing and threatening me." Jessica says.

"How?" Nathan asks.

"He said if I told anybody about anything, then he'd kill somebody I love." Jessica says, looking down at her hands.

"What did he make you do?" Nathan asks.

"Get him drugs and, uh... um..." Jessica clears her throat, to not cry and does her best to keep the tears in.

"Jessica." Nathan calls and she looks at him.

"Sexual stuff." She tells him, a few tears.

Nathan feels his heart shatter as well as complete rage overcome him at the same time. He can't believe that somebody did something so awful to his baby sister, his daughter figure, the first person he ever raised. He couldn't protect her from it either. He didn't even know. He can't even imagine what she's going through, he just wishes she wasn't going through any of this. She doesn't deserve any of it.

"Are you mad?" Jessica asks, a worried look in her eye.

"No." Nathan tells her. "No. No, not at you anyway. I..." Nathan tries to think of something to say, but fails. "C'mere." He mumbles, holding his arms out. Jessica rushes to him, tightly wrapping her arms around his torso as she sobs. Nathan tightly hugs her, cradling her head to his chest as he holds his own tears in at his sister's pain.