chapter five

Jessica and Haley are walking around outside the church before the wedding making sure some small last minute stuff is ready and having Jamie and Lily go inside. They see Dan sitting in his car from across the street, shocking Jessica that he actually got out of jail.

"Stay here." Haley tells Jessica, walking over to Dan's car. "Actually, go inside."

"Hales--"

"Just go inside." Haley tells her sister, sending her a reassuring smile. Jessica hesitates before going inside the church.

"Can I help you?" Haley asks Dan when she reaches the car.

"Hello, Haley." Dan greets.

"Save it. You're not going into that church. And you're not gonna talk to my son, my husband, Jessica, Karen, or Lucas, for that matter." Haley orders.

"You should be careful about being so bossy. I've been in prison a long time. Kind of sexy." Dan says.

"Don't screw with me, Dan. This is the last conversation you and I will ever have. Enjoy your reprehensible, miserable life." Haley goes back to the church.

+++

Jessica serves as a bridesmaid during the wedding, standing behind Haley.

"We give thanks today... for Lucas and Lindsey, for their open heart sand their willing spirits, and for their closest friends and family. May we all be changed by what is said and witnessed here." The minister says. "It's a mystery how we fall in love, who we fall in love with, why we fall in love. But we do. Lucas Eugene Scott, do you take Lindsey Evelyn Strauss to be your lawfully wedded wife? Do you promise to be true to her? In sickness and in health as long as you both shall live?"

"I do." Lucas smiles.

"Lindsey Evelyn Strauss, do you take Lucas Eugene Scott to be your lawfully wedded husband? Do you promise to love and honor each other all the days of your life, until death do you part?" The minister asks.

"It was a comet." Lindsey states.

"Excuse me?" The minister questions.

"It was a comet, Luke." Lindsey says.

"Could you just give us a moment, please?" Lucas asks the minister who backs up a bit.

"The boy saw a comet." Lindsey says.

"Okay." Lucas says.

"The boy saw a comet, and he felt as though his life had meaning. And when it went away, he waited his entire life for it to come back to him."

"Lindsey, I love you, but this isn't the time for a book review, okay?"

"What was the first day you ever talked to Peyton?"

"Lindsey..."

"Please."

"her car broke down."