chapter twenty-nine

It's a few weeks later and Thanksgiving is tomorrow. Jessica's already had about a month and a half of being blackmailed and getting drugs for Jonathan.

Alanna is over, trying to cheer Jessica up since she's been off.

"Come on, there's gotta be something you want to do." Alanna says as they sit in the kitchen.

"Go back to sleep." Jessica tells her.

"Not happening." Alanna says. "What are you gonna do on Thanksgiving? Be thankful from your room?"

"If I tell Nate and Haley I'm sick, then, yeah." Jessica nods.

"No." Alanna shakes her head. "I will personally come here to make sure you stay out of your room on Thanksgiving if I have to."

"Your parents are out of town on work and your sister's at college, you're already doing that." Jessica says.

"Which will make it that much easier." Alanna smiles.

"I will uninvite you." Jessica tells her.

"There's the sarcastic, snappy Jessica we all know and love." Alanna grins.

"Look, it's just been a bad few weeks. It's nothing." Jessica tells her.

"Do you know how worried we are? And I mean all of us. Me, Tam, Jared, Brendan, your siblings, Brooke. Jamie, Skills, Mouth. Hell, Junk and Fergie are worried about you." Alanna states.

"Really?" Jessica asks.

"Yes. You worried the people who have no goal in life and just play video games all day." Alanna says.

"How do you even know?" Jessica asks.

"Because like I said, they don't have lives." Alanna says.

"No, I mean, how do you know that they're worried?" Jessica asks.

"Oh, we went there one day to talk about you and they said they were worried." Alanna says, going through her bag. "Hey, do you have an extra tampon? I can't find one."

"Yeah, it's in my bag." Jessica tells her, pouring a glass of juice.

Alanna unzips her friend's backpack and starts digging through it, stopping when she pulls out a few pictures. She flips through them, her heart starting to race.

"Uh... Jessi?" Alanna calls.

"Yeah?" Jessica turns to her, stopping when she sees what she's holding.

"What the hell is this?" Alanna asks. She places the three pictures on the counter. One is of Jessica in the living room taken through the window, one is of Jessica outside the diner, and one is a picture of her chest and neck littered with hickeys.

"It's, um... it's nothing." Jessica says shakily. She quickly walks over and grabs the pictures, stuffing them in her bag.

"Jessi." Alanna lightly grabs her friend's wrist making her stop. "What's going on?"

"It's nothing. You can't say anything. You're not allowed to know." Jessica tells her.

"Know what? Essie, is someone stalking you?" Alanna asks.