chapter thirty-eight

Jessica is sitting on the edge of the pool with her legs in while Nathan stands in the pool with Lydia on a giant float.

"Hey, dad, is it safe to have the baby in the water like that?" Jamie asks, walking out.

"Are you kidding me? She's practically a fish. Why don't you join us?" Nathan suggests.

"I was thinking I would go to the rivercourt." Jamie says.

"Yeah, buddy, we can do that." Nathan says.

"Well, I was thinking... I could go by myself." Jamie says and Nathan hums. "Chuck and some of the guys are there. And I'd go straight there and straight home. I promise."

"You let me walk alone when I was his age." Jessica reminds her brother.

"Straight there then straight home, huh?" Nathan asks.

"Uh-huh. For sure." Jamie confirms.

"Hmm. All right. Take your cell phone, stay on the sidewalks, and do not talk to strangers." Nathan says.

"Cool. Thanks, dad. Promise." Jamie says.

"Jamie." Nathan calls, making Jamie stop. "You're my son. I love you. I need you to be safe."

"I understand. Love you. Love you, too, Lydia. Love you, Aunt Jessi." Jamie says, going inside.

"See ya!" Nathan calls.

"Bye!" Jamie calls.

"Don't get kidnapped by any psycho nannies!" Jessica yells after him. Nathan gives her a look and she shrugs. "What? It was a joke."

Nathan turns to Lydia.

"You don't get to leave the house alone until you're at least 30, okay? Maybe even 40. Discuss it with your mom." Nathan tells her and Jessica playfully rolls her eyes at his fatherly statement.

"Okay, well, I'm gonna go get ready for my date with Brendan." Jessica says, standing up and drying her legs off.

"Straight there and straight back." Nathan points his finger at her.

"Ha-ha." Jessica fake laughs.

+++

Jessica hears the doorbell ring and races to it from the kitchen. She opens it, smiling when she sees Brendan.

"That was fast." Brendan chuckles.

"Well, I don't think we've actually ever been on a date, so." Jessica shrugs. "Sorry. Did I just totally embarrass myself?"

"Nah, don't worry. You're cute." Brendan assures her making the girl blush. "These are for you." Brendan holds out a Reese's package, knowing it's her favorite candy.

"Thanks." Jessica smiles, taking it. She lets Brendan in and he follows her to the kitchen where she hides the candy in the pantry for later. "So, what are we doing?"