chapter twenty-seven

trigger warning: sexual assault

It's been a few weeks since they got back from Utah. Jessica has managed to avoid anymore questions about the her behavior and she spends every possible second with Brendan. She's gotten a letter in the mail every other day, more than she did before Utah. It's getting worse.

She's at the counter in the kitchen eating a sandwich while Jamie is helping Nathan work out in the living room. Haley walks in through the front door with the mail.

"Oh, and, um... I'm also gonna need you to look after your mom while I'm gone. And Aunt Jessi, too. It's just the four of you now. Well, five, actually, if you count Chester." Nathan says as Haley stops, turning to him, realizing they're doing this now.

Both Jamie and Jessica shared confused looks.

"No, four with Chester." Jamie says.

"Um, actually, it's five with Chester." Haley says.

"I don't get it." Jamie says, but Jessica does.

"Oh, my God!" She yells, running over to the couple. "Ah! Really?" She asks, grinning, and her siblings nod. Jessica grins wider, hugging Haley who laughs and hugs her back.

"I still don't get it." Jamie says.

"Well, looks like we're gonna have another baby." Haley says.

"Really?" Jamie asks.

"Yeah." Haley nods.

"Sweet! I'm totally gonna have a brother like you and Lucas, dad." Jamie says before walking away.

"Or a sister." Nathan calls out. "Like me and Jessi."

"Yeah. Or that." Jamie returns before leaving.

"Well, not completely like me and Jessi since he won't be raising his sibling... hopefully." Nathan says.

"He's your kid." Haley tells her husband. "Oh." She turns to Jessica. "This is for you."

Haley hands her the orange envelope and Jessica sees the familiar writing on it.

"Thanks." Jessica mumbles.

"You good?" Haley asks.

"Yeah. It's just weird, not having an address or anything. Must be my friends or something." Jessica tries to play it off and quickly retreats to her room.

"That was weird, right?" Nathan asks.

"Definitely weird." Haley nods.

Jessica reaches her room and shuts the door behind her. She opens the letter, finding no picture, but a piece of notebook paper instead.

She pulls it out and reads it.

'River Court
Tonight
1:30
Come alone'

Jessica hears a knock and hurriedly puts the paper and envelope in the bottom drawer of her desk where everything else is from the stalker. She slams it shut just as Nathan opens the door, walking in.