chapter fourteen

Nathan sneaks in through the back door and sees Haley sitting at the counter, facing away from him.

"Hi, baby." He says making her Haley jump.

"You scared me, you wonderful man!" They hug.

"Oh, I missed you." Nathan mutters.

"Good. Shut up and kiss me." Haley smiles and the two kiss. They're however interrupted by their son running in.

"Daddy's home! Daddy's home!" Jamie cheers.

"Oh, there he is." Nathan grins and picks Jamie up. "Come here, buddy. I missed you."

"I missed you, too. How long are you home?" Jamie asks.

"The whole weekend." Nathan answers.

"Sweet. You have to come upstairs and see the new jersey mama bought me." Jamie says.

"All right. I'll be right up." Nathan says. He puts Jamie down and the child runs off.

"So, how does it feel to be a prop basketball player?" Haley asks.

"Mostly tired and sore. It's good to be home, though. Just take a break from it all." Nathan says.

"Cause you're not gonna be sore and tired after this weekend." Haley says and the two kiss.

"Come on, dad!" Jamie yells.

"Like I said, it's good to be home." Nathan says.

"Yeah." Haley mumbles.

"Dad!" Jamie calls.

"Be there in a minute, buddy!" Nathan calls back. he turns back to Haley. "How's Jess doing?"

"Oh, you know what she always says: Fine." Haley says.

"Really?" Nathan asks.

"I don't know what she is, but she does actually seem okay." Haley states.

"Where is she?" Nathan asks.

"She's out with her friends." Haley tells him. "I mean, there's no way she's completely fine like she says she is, but, I... I don't know how to get her to talk."

"Yeah, she was always stubborn about that." Nathan says.

"Dad, come on!" Jamie calls again and the two adults chuckle.

"Coming!" Nathan calls and him and Haley head up to Jamie's room.

+++

Jessica met Peyton at her and Lucas' house after the blonde requested she come over.

"Hey. So what's so big you needed me here?" Jessica asks.

"I have some news." Peyton tells her.