chapter eighteen

Jessica is at Alanna's house when Tamera, Jared, and Brendan barge in.

"You know, there's this thing called knocking." Alanna says.

"We never knock." Brendan argues.

"Have you seen the news?" Tamera asks Jessica. "Or seen any magazines or newspapers? Anything?"

"No. Why?" Jessica asks.

"Have you talked to Nathan about a career setback lately?" Jared asks.

"No. What's going on? Is he okay?" Jessica asks, getting worried he's hurt again. Tamera reaches into her bag and pulls out a magazine that Jessica takes.

""Nathan Scott: A Basketball Star's Love Child"?" Jessica reads the front of the cover. "What the hell is this?"

"Why would we know?" Jared asks, receiving a jab in the side from Brendan.

"I got every copy I could cause I know there is no way your brother has a love child when he's so in love with Haley." Tamera states.

"Thanks." Jessica mumbles. "Um... I'm gonna go home."

"I'll drive you." Brendan says and Jessica nods. They walk out, saying bye to their friends. Brendan opens the door for her and shuts it after she gets in. He gets in the driver's seat and begins driving after their buckled up.

"You okay?" Brendan asks.

"Yeah, no... fine. Just... mostly worried about Nathan and Haley." Jessica says.

"Well, hey, we know it's a lie." Brendan says. "I mean, I may not know your brother, like, incredibly well or anything, but... I know he's not the kind of person to do this."

"Yeah, but, everybody believes the news. Never the person." Jessica mumbles.

"Anything I can do?" Brendan asks.

"No." Jessica answers.

They soon get to her house and Jessica gets out, saying bye to Brendan, and goes into the house.

She shuts the door behind her to find Nathan in the kitchen.

"Okay, I know it isn't, but please, tell me it's not true." Jessica begs.

"Of course it's not true." Nathan states.

"Okay. I knew that. I just wanted unnecessary clarification." Jessica says, hugging Nathan.

+++

Jessica is at home with Nathan, Haley, and Jamie. She's sitting next to Jamie on the couch while he plays video games and she's on her phone.

"So, I guess, since you're playing video games, you've already brushed your teeth, huh?" Nathan asks his son.

"You know it." Jamie statse.

"If you're lying, the tooth police will come and take your teeth away." Haley says.

"That's right, and then everyone's gonna call you Gummy Scott." Nathan says and Jessica secretly rolls her eyes.