chapter eight

It's the next day and Jessica spent the night at Brooke's. Since she was originally going to anyway, Nathan and Haley weren't worried since she told them before the attack happened. Brooke pushed her own trauma down enough to soothe Jessica asleep.

Jessica stirs awake after Brooke gets off the phone with Peyton.

"Hey, Baby Scott." Brooke greets, her voice hoarse from the attack.

"I have school." Jessica quietly complains.

"You can stay with me for the day if you want." Brooke offers.

"But then Nathan and Haley and will know something's up." Jessica says, sitting up, and glancing at her abused face in the mirror.

Both her eyes are dark, much like Brooke's, she has a bruise on her right cheekbone, a busted lip, a few marks on her collarbone and around her neck. She also has handprints on her arms, abdomen, hips, and waist. Her back hurts from being thrown into a display and she remembers the big bruise there. She has a few bruises on her legs, but they're not as bad since they weren't the target of the abuse.

"They're gonna find out, Jessi Bear." Brooke tells her.

"Yeah, but I don't want them to." Jessica mumbles, playing with a thread on a shirt she borrowed from Brooke for the night.

"I know." Brooke says.

"How come we always get beat up?" Jessica asks, tears gathering in her eyes.

"I don't know." Brooke mumbles, hugging the younger girl, being mindful of both their injuries.

+++

Brooke is at the store, waiting for Deb to arrive, having called her. She dropped Jessica off at school, leaving after seeing her walk into the building. They applied makeup to hide Jessica's neck and face injuries and she wore a long sleeve to hide the ones on her arms. Brooke is facing the counter as the door opens. Deb enters, seeing the store completely ruined.

"My, God. Brooke?" Deb calls.

"Hi." Brooke calls out as loud as she can.

"Honey, what... what happened? Were you robbed?" Deb asks. Brooke turns towards her while taking the sunglasses off to reveal her beaten face.

"Yeah. Last night." Brooke answers.

"Oh, my God." Deb gasps.

"I'm not gonna cry." Brooke states and Deb hugs her.

"Oh, it's okay." Deb comforts.

"I'm not gonna cry." Brooke repeats.

After a while, Brooke breaks the silence.

"I'm sorry." She tells the mother.

"Why would you be sorry? You have nothing to apologize for." Deb tells her.

"Jessi was with me." Brooke tells her. Deb pulls back a little, forgetting Jessica spent the night at Brooke's last night.