chapter six

Jessica is heading downstairs, stopping when she hears Nathan and Haley talking.

"He's dying, Hales." Nathan states.

"What?" Haley asks.

"Dan needs a heart transplant. He says it's his HCM. He's got 6 months to live, maybe not even that." Nathan says.

"Do you believe him? He's not even that old." Haley says.

"I don't know. I mean, it's Dan. But he's even drawn up a will, and he's leaving us the beach house, among other things. And this time, he seemed... scared. I mean, I've seen my father be a lot of things, Hales, but never scared." Nathan says.

"Well, if it is true, at least now we know why he wants to spend so much time with Jamie. Nothing like a ticking clock." Haley says.

"Well, ticking clock or not, Dan's not spending anytime with Jamie." Nathan says. Jessica walks down the rest of the steps, gaining the couple's attention. "How much did you hear?"

"What do you mean?" Jessica plays dumb.

"Jess." Nathan gives her a look.

"Everything." She admits. "Is he really dying?"

"I don't know. But dying or not, I still don't want you near him. Keep ignoring him when he gets to you." Nathan tells his sister.

"Okay." Jessica nods.

Nathan and Haley have been getting better and Deb is now taking care of Jamie. Dan has been trying to keep in contact with them, but his children ignore him and push him away. Jessica's friends have been with her for some of the followings and they made sure he didn't get near her.

+++

Nathan is at the river court practicing basketball alone when Dan arrives.

"You'll get it back again, trust me." Dan says.

"What are you doing here?" Nathan asks.

"You told me in the gym you weren't trying to come back, and I know you are... it's what I would do." Dan says.

"It's not a comeback." Nathan states.

"Sure. You know, Nathan, you may just have to face the fact that you'll never be the same player you once were, but that doesn't mean you still won't be a great player. You just have to learn how to play differently... reinvent yourself. The best players always find a way. Okay, try it again, but slow it down a tad."

"Stop it!"

"Stop what?"

"Following me. Trying to see Jamie. Following Jessica. This... all of it. Dan, I don't care that you're dying, okay? This isn't happening. We're done here."

"Nathan, don't hate me because I'm proud of your accomplishments. Take it from someone who knows. You don't want to live a life of regret. It's not too late. You can have your dream. You just have to really want it." Nathan throws the basketball at Dan.