chapter thirty-six

warning: abortion (really just talk of it, i didn't describe it or anything)

Nathan is in Kellerman's office and talking to him.

"Whatever you think you know, you've made a mistake." August tells him.

"I saw the car in your garage." Nathan states.

"First of all, my home and my vehicle are my own business. Beyond that, I had an accident. So what?" August says.

"SO you nearly killed my son, sister, and a good friend." Nathan states.

"You're wrong. I swerved to miss some deer and I hit a light pole." August says.

"You hit a car, Kellerman, on the Gabel Bridge, and then you drove away and left three people drowning in the river when the levee broke." Nathan says.

"I didn't..."

"You didn't what? You didn't do it, or you don't remember doing it, considering the empty bottle of bourbon I found underneath your front seat?"

"You're making a mistake."

"Okay. Okay. So, you had an accident the night of the big storm, you smashed the front of your late model maroon Grand Wagoneer, and then you drove away without anybody seeing. Meanwhile, a different late model maroon Grand Wagoneer crashed into my son and sister's car on the same night at around the same time, and then also drove away. And the eyewitness is mistaken.

"I have nothing else to say to you."

"Well, I have something to say to you. My son was trapped inside that car. He was scared and he was alone and you left him there. My sister was trapped in the car and she had to hide her fear to comfort her nephew. Their godmother and best friend nearly died that night in front of their eyes. And you could have helped them, but instead, you slipped into the shadows like a coward. Well, I'm about to shine a light into those shadows because I know what you did, and you know what you did. And this is going to be made right by you or by me. You think about that."

+++

Jessica returns from the drug store and goes into the bathroom, locking the door. She takes the box out of her purse and opens it, taking one of the sticks out.

Jessica sighs before taking the test and leaving it on the counter, waiting for her timer to go off. She finally hears the it go off and she takes a deep breath.

Jessica picks up the stick, gasping at the results.

~ ~ ~

Jessica walks into the living room with tear stains on her face and finds her siblings on the couch. She's wearing an oversized long sleeve shirt and holding the test in her hands, keeping it hidden in the sleeves.

The siblings hear a sniffle and look to see Jessica crying a bit.

"Hey, you okay?" Haley asks, worried, sitting up.