chapter thirty-four

Jessica is at Brooke's house, helping set up for the baby shower. A phone starts ringing and Brooke sees that it's Quinn's and looks at the caller ID.

"Hey, Haley's calling you. Do you want me to get it?" Brooke asks.

"No, don't!" Quinn exclaims, racing over. "Don't answer it." She says, tumbling over the couch.

"Oh!" Brooke says, watching Quinn scramble to her feet and grab the phone.

"Oh, she's driving me crazy. I need another excuse. Think." Quinn says, sitting on the couhc.

"Um, you could say..." Brooke starts to suggest, but Quinn answers the phone.

"You're smothering me!" Quinn yells into the phone before hanging up. Jessica and Brooke share shocked looks.

"Really?" Brooke asks the James woman.

"Yeah, I'm not... not good at this." Quinn says.

"No." Brooke and Jessica whisper.

"All right, I'm headed out. I told Nathan and Clay I'd help coach little league." Julian says, walking out and grabbing his bag.

"You're gonna help coach?" Brooke asks.

"How? By quoting every sports movie known to man?" Jessica asks.

"Just because my area of expertise is more in the butterfly catching aspect of the game does not mean I will not be an asset. I'll give them a pep talk during intermission." Julian says.

"What, a movie monologue?" Jessica asks.

"Intermission?" Brooke asks.

"Halftime?" Julian asks.

"Seventh-inning stretch?" Brooke says.

"There's only six innings in Little League." Quinn states.

"And intermission is a play thing, no sport has intermission." Jessica says.

"Then I got nothing." Brooke tells her husband.

Quinn's phone rings and she picks it up.

"Hi, Haley. Oh, sorry about that. No, no. Um, I'm actually already on my way, so I'll just-- I'll see you soon. Yay!" Quinn hangs up. "Oh, now I got nothing. I'm sorry. Can you two finish this by yourselves?"

"Yes, we'll be fine. Just make sure she gets here on time." Brooke says, hugging Quinn.

"I will." Quinn says, hugging Jessica. "Bye, Julian." She leaves.

"Innings." Julian says.

"You got it." Brooke tells him. As Julian leaves, Brooke slaps him on the butt.

"Isn't it just tryouts?" Jessica asks. "Why do they need a pep talk?"

"I know nothing about sports, Jessi Bear." Brooke says.

"Do I have to come to the baby shower? I'm not exactly in the celebration mood." Jessica says.

"Yes, but this is for Haley." Brooke says. "Look, I know it's been hard with the whole Jonathan thing. And now the whole town knows so that's probably not easy."