chapter forty-one

Brendan is at Karen's Cafe since Jessica asked him to help Brooke out since Jessica is going to be with Haley, trying to find Nathan.

"Can I get a vanilla latte?" Millie asks, sitting at the counter.

"Sure." Brooke says, standing in front of the machine, lost.

"This is kind of weird... you getting me a latte." Millie says.

"Coffee is the new latte." Brooke says, grabbing the coffee pot and filling a mug up, putting it in front of Millie.

"Do you know how to use that machine?" Millie asks.

"She does not." Brendan states.

"Okay, you do it." Brooke says.

"Don't look at me." Brendan scoffs, not knowing how to use the machine either.

"Millie, I am part owner of this cafe. If I wanted to... do the... thingy and make the milk all fluffy like, I would." Brooke says.

"Coffee sounds perfect." Millie says.

"Thanks." Brooke grins.

"Do you have any pistachio muffins?" Millie asks.

"That sounds so disgusting." Brendan says.

"We do." They hear and look to see Tara walking in with a plant. "Right next door. Yummy."

"You have to go. You are not welcome here." Brooke says.

"Okay. I put up a banner. You put up a banner. I don't know what got into me. And as you know, Brooke Davis, opening and maintaining a successful business can be very stressful." Tara says.

"What is that?" Brooke asks.

"It's a face to face friend request. I hope you'll accept." Tara says, putting the plant on the counter. Brooke forces a grin. "Great." Tara leaves and Brooke loses her smile the minute the blonde isn't facing her.

"Seriously? I wish there was a face to face block feature." Brooke says, looking at the note in the plant. "Ugh." She groans.

"Shouldn't we just throw the whole plant away?" Brendan asks.

"It's still a plant." Brooke reasons.

+++

Haley and Jessica are getting ready to go to the police station when Chris walks in, holding up a CD case.

"Hey! Huh?" Chris says, grinning.

"I really don't have time for this right now." Haley says.

"Whoa. Chris Keller's insulted by your lack of enthusiasm." Chris says.

"Listen to me. Nathan never came home last night. I have been on the phone all morning. The airport won't give me any information. Nobody will help me." Haley says.