chapter forty-three

Jessica gets to the sound stage early in the morning. Dan wasn't in the trailer, so he easily heard her come in.

"What are you doing here?" Dan asks.

"Do you know where Nathan is?" Jessica asks.

"Yeah, I got the dude to crack." Dan says.

"Okay." Jessica nods, looking around. "Where is the dude?"

"You don't need to know." Dan says.

"Did you kill him?" Jessica asks.

"No." Dan answers.

"So let me see him. I mean, if you didn't dump his body somewhere, why not, right?" Jessica asks. Dan sighs and leads her over to the car, opening the trunk, revealing the passed out man.

"Ouch." Jessica winces.

"Go home, Jessica." Dan tells her.

"No." Jessica objects.

"Jessica..."

"I told you I don't care how dangerous it is. I don't care that I'm 17. I don't care if I have to shoot somebody. I am getting my brother back." Jessica declares.

+++

Julian got to the sound stage and Dan opens the trunk, revealing Billy.

"Whoa! No, no. Is that..." Julian stops.

"Our friend, the drug dealer. At least it used to be." Dan says.

"No. No, no, no. I didn't see that. I-I don't see that." Julian says.

"You mean him?" Dan asks.

"There's no him." Julian says.

"Sure there is... well, what's left of him. He's right there." Dan points in the trunk.

"You can't... okay, he's not... you can't kill people in a sound stage. My sound stage." Julian says.

"You rented it to me."

"You said it wasn't illegal! I'm not a part of this."

"Julian--"

"There's a dead guy in my sound stage!"

"Julian, he's not dead. He's just... well, I guess he could be dead by now."

"I can't go to prison, okay? You said it yourself. They'll like me there."

"You're not going to prison."

"I have a family, man!"

"Nobody is going to prison. Will you just calm down?! Besides, we're the only three people that know about this." Dan states.

"Is that guy dead?" They hear and Jessica turns to see Chris behind them.

"Okay, four people know. Five, counting Haley." Dan says.