16. King of Liars, Noland

"__, what the fuck are you doing? First, you sleep like a log in the cellar and now in the mess hall?" Toba's voice brought me out of my sleep

"__, what the fuck are you doing? First, you sleep like a log in the cellar and now in the mess hall?" Toba's voice brought me out of my sleep. When I opened my eyes, the memories from the evening before invaded my mind and I fell from the bench I used as a bed, my heart almost in my throat.

"Are you okay?", Wire asked me.

"Yeah, just fell on my butt..." I got up, and I shook off the barely existent dust from my clothes.

"I think he meant it for your face. It looked like you had seen a ghost when you woke up". Toba laughed. "Did you have a nightmare?"

"Something like that..." I answered simply and went to prepare breakfast with Heat when I remembered something. "Oh, and good morning". I awkwardly laughed and entered the kitchen.

"Why were you sleeping here?" Heat asked me while he grabbed some pans.

"Uhm... I must have fallen asleep while I was resting after washing the dishes".

After cooking a morbid quantity of fried eggs and bacon, each one served himself a portion on their plates. I even had the energy (don't where it came from) to squeeze out some orange juice. Only for the ones of my table, tho, I didn't have that much energy to squash oranges for more than thirty people that early in the morning.

I served the glasses to each of them: Chum, Toba, Heat and Wire. I sat down and I enjoyed the sweet liquid in my palate.

"Oh, Toba, thank you for yesterday's tray". I said a bit embarrassed, but grateful for it.

"Tray? What tray?"

"Eh? Weren't you the one who left a tray of food in front of my door?"

"Nope, wasn't me". He said with his mouth full. I looked at the rest of the boys, but they shook their heads.

"Oh... Alright, then". I kept eating, wondering who would have left that there. Oh, god, what if it was poisoned? Of course, it must have been Killer; he had poisoned my food and, knowing I would die because of the poison, he let me know he knew my secret.

The only problem was that I was still alive.

... Maybe he made a mistake calculating?

"Maybe it was Killer?" I asked, wanting to corroborate my theory.

"Nah, he was with me all the time". Heat swallowed a piece of meat. I nodded and decided to give up on my detective work. I hadn't been born for that. Unlike certain blondie.

"In no time we'll finally get away from this goddamned mist, finally. I needed some sun". Chum said. "Fatamorgana is a warm island, isn't it?".

I don't know if it was my paranoia (spoiler: it was), but I felt he was testing me. Did he know? Did Killer tell everyone?

"Y-yeah, it is". I smiled politely.

"Are you sure you're alright? You're acting weird", Wire said.