14. Chiming Bells

I don't know when the light came back

I don't know when the light came back. I also didn't know if I had been unconscious since the start.

"What a surprise... It's the first time my first choice has won all the games".

A woman with hair as black as the night was filing her nails, sitting on a grey armchair in a way that seemed quite uncomfortable. Her short hair was past her ears, but it didn't reach her shoulders, which were exposed. She wore a black and tight party dress. Everything she had on was black, a fact that accentuated her pale skin colour. A skin so pallid one could envisage her blue veins as if she was made from translucid glass.

I blinked a few times. I realized I was also sitting on an armchair. I scanned the room in search of Heat or Kid, but there was no one else. Just her and me. I noticed that the room was not entirely lit. A small side of the room was left in complete darkness as if there was a complete void there.

"Uhm... Who are you?" I asked, confusion visible in my voice. The woman laughed.

"Umbra, of course". She gave me a feline smirk. I opened my eyes wide open in surprise. "You don't need to introduce yourself; I already know you, _____. As I was saying, I'm glad you won the game; I didn't need to order the guards to bring you here by force". She blew air on her nails and stretched the arm away to observe the final result.

Her behaviour was too calm. She was Umbra? The mafia boss? And now I was in front of her, alone, and not knowing why she wanted to see me that bad. I hope she didn't know it was our fault that one of her ships never returned to the harbour with its original crew.

"Where are... the other winners?" I asked carefully. Umbra smiled and bent over to my armchair, holding on to the armrests with her hands. She reminded me of a snake when it lifts its head, ready to jump on to its prey.

"Don't worry about them". She got up, approaching me. She took a strand of my hair and twirled it in her fingers while she circled the armchair I was sitting on. "They're not going to bother us; my henchmen are taking care of them". She said with a raspy voice. "The only winner here is you".

I gulped. Knowing Kid, he would have beaten up all the clowns that he had encountered. But I didn't hear anything. Nor his screams, nor the screams of his victims. Absolute silence. That made me more nervous.

"Why me?" I asked with genuine curiosity.

"Why you?" I didn't know if she was mocking me or not. "Because you..." She traced her index finger threateningly from my sternum up to my chin with her black painted nails. "...are my type".

...What?

Suddenly, Umbra lost her menacing aura. She covered her face with both hands while she squealed.

"Aah~ I've said, I've said it!" She turned around to not look at my face. Good, because my face could be read as: "What the fuck".

"S-sorry, I don't think I have heard you correctly". I wanted to make sure my hearing was still working.