7. Land ahoy: Magari

Forty-seven, forty-eight, forty-nine

Forty-seven, forty-eight, forty-nine... Fifty. I let the barrel down. I didn't know what it was filled with, but it was useful to use as a dumbbell. Since that disastrous event in the storm, I was obsessed with training. It didn't surprise me when Toba entered the cellar without knocking.

"Training again?". He said, entering as if it was his home. Well, technically, it was more of his home than mine. Damn it.

"Yeah". I stretched my arms.

"I came to ask you if you wanted to practice sword fighting with us".

"I like the idea, but I've never held a sword in my life". I puckered my lips.

"I'll teach ya, don't worry".

So here I was, at the bow of the ship, following Toba's instructions while I was holding a cutlass.

"Are you sure this weapon is the best option?" I asked him.

"You're used to fighting at a very short distance. But there'll be enemies better than you at a short distance, and you'll be done for. If you're fighting at long distance, if things go wrong, I recommend you start running". I rolled my eyes. As if that cheered me up. "Low centre of gravity, __". His aura was different when he took things seriously.

I did as told.

"Aim to the shoulder. Try". I lifted my sword to his shoulder, slowly. Toba blocked my attack. "Good, your attack can be blocked. But you can also block theirs". Without prior notice, he aimed to my shoulder. I was shocked, but I locked his sword with mine. "Not bad. Same thing, but aiming to the thighs, let's try". He patted himself on the leg to emphasize his words.

The metallic clashes of swords filled my ears. There were other groups of people fighting a few meters away. I wielded my sword from the top and Toba blocked the hit.

"Pay attention to this". With a circular motion of his wrist and arm, he pushed my sword, averting it. "You may not have enough time to block the next attack and". He brandished his sword, grazing my stomach. I nodded.

From the crow's nest, Killer observed the fighting pink-hair.

"Let's move on. Beware of your thrusts, you leave your arm without protection. Do it again". I tried to hit him the same way I had done before. Toba grabbed my arm, stopping my attack and made the gesture to punch me, but without touching me. "Don't forget you have a free hand. You and your enemy. Let's start over".

We kept clashing our swords until Killer's voice shouted "Land" from the crow's nest. We reached Magari. The reason my parents had died on their journey. Sometimes I thought what would've happened if they hadn't gone, but I quickly dismissed the thought. The past couldn't be changed.