20. Countdown

There were 13 days left to reach Fatamorgana when I confessed that I wasn't a real oracle to Kid

Right now, if I wasn't mistaken, there were only 5 days left. It was little time, and I had little patience since Toba hadn't stopped making dirty comments and telling everyone what he saw in that room between the captain and me.

"GUYS, THE CAPTAIN AND BER-". I covered his mouth with my hand.

"Can you shut up for a while?" I reprimanded him for the fifteenth time that day. The first times I couldn't help blushing, but after being behind him all day so he wouldn't say anything stupid, I had become immune.

"I knew something would happen between you two". He said to me.

"You can see the future, too?" I jested.

Kid told me I wouldn't have to tell the rest of the crew, a thing I appreciated. Especially for poor Toba, who almost drowned because of me. He also survived because of me, but one thing doesn't erase the other.

And, furthermore, Kid, being the jerk that he was, wanted to keep the lie about the tarot to take advantage of it. He was pissed off when I told him I was not going to charge the crew for card readings, but he calmed down rather quickly.

It looked like I had started to tame him, and I felt like the most powerful lion tamer in Earth. Well, Killer was still ahead of me, having more experience dealing with Kid, but I would slowly reach his level.

How much time had I spent on this ship? Almost two months? It wasn't much. But if we look at it from the circumstances of the first day, I would've never imagined I would survive that many days.

A smile crept on my lips at the memory. When the idea of being here started to grow on me, I dreaded the idea of forging a relationship with any member of the crew. I guess that, unconsciously, I wanted to avoid the same situation I lived in Imbir. So, I tried to act as if I didn't care about them or as if I hadn't started to like the captain, thinking I would avoid further misfortune.

I stopped my thoughts to look around as if I had said that out loud and someone might have heard it. But no, no one was around. I laid back against the railing again.

Anyway, I was never good at hiding my feelings, and that had triggered the following events that led me to this moment. I stretched my neck towards the sky, closing my eyes, thinking about what would've happened if I had made different choices...

Maybe I would already be underwater.

Something fell on my face and then on the floor with a low thud.

"What the...?" I looked over.

It was a journal. The messenger seagull perched on the bannister and I put the coins it cost inside the bag it hung around his neck. He mewed what I supposed was a "thank you" or a "goodbye" and flew away, continuing his route.