13. Solaris

Exiting that horrible place, we followed the flock of people who looked like they were going to the casino

Exiting that horrible place, we followed the flock of people who looked like they were going to the casino. Killer insisted on that I could wear his suit jacket, but I feared the buttons of his shirt would pop away if he flexed his arms too much, so I rejected the offer. It was better if he was the one wearing it. Just in case. There were already a few people stealing glances at us, and the last thing we needed was a bodybuilding show in the middle of the road.

The exact same paper lanterns we found at the sea started to brighten up each side of the path. I looked at Killer by the corner of my eye, and he seemed to have made that association, too. People at the entrance were taking their tickets out of their luxurious purses or pockets, getting inside a few seconds after the clown validated their tickets. He returned them with two extra little holes on the left side of the ticket.

I made sure to remember that if I had to create the illusion of our golden tickets again. Our turn came, and I couldn't help feeling the nervousness creeping in my stomach. I got behind my mates, having created the illusion of the tickets in their hands, beforehand. I focused on projecting the mirage to everyone looking, without errors, adding two more holes after the clown passed the ticket through a special machine. Everything went smoothly. Chum was the last one to enter, and now there was only my ticket left. My heart almost shot through my chest when the clown talked to me:

"Your name, miss?" I tried to act as if that didn't scare me. I hadn't heard him ask that to anyone else.

"_____", I answered after a few seconds as if I was trying to convince him that my name was on the list of a very special night club.,"Is there any problem?"

"...Not at all. Umbra requires your presence". He whispered something over his den den mushi and returned his attention to me. Kid, Killer and the rest were standing near the entrance, waiting for me to come in, not trusting the situation. "You may go in".

Luckily, he returned my ("very real") ticket, and I could enter without any hassles. I heard murmuring behind my back.

"Did you hear that? That means Umbra..."

"I can't believe it, that girl?"

"I hope it doesn't end up like last year..."

I was alert. What would they be talking about? I headed for where Toba was standing.

"I thought we were done for before entering". He told me. "What was that?"

"He asked me for that name and told me that Umbra required my presence". I answered although it sounded like a question.

"A mafia boss is flirting with you?"

"Ew, Toba!" I made my vowels longer as a sign of disgust.

"Don't say that in front of the captain, you fool", Wire told him.

"Stop chatting and move your asses!" Kid shouted, earning a few judging stares from masked people holding champagne glasses.

"Ooh, free drinks". Toba ran to a table full of dishes and bottles.