4. Small upgrade

The circle of pirates closed itself, leaving me and my opponent inside

The circle of pirates closed itself, leaving me and my opponent inside. They were stomping their feet on the floor (some with their hands), creating an inharmonious rhythm that reminded me of the drums that announced the beginning of a war.

I felt the adrenaline coursing through my veins and my heart beating at the rhythm of their thumping. Everything started to go slower, and at the same time, it felt like everyone was going much faster than I was.

"You fall three times; you're out! Toba shouted at me amidst the clamour.

Out of the blue, I was on the floor, a growing sting on my cheek. I wrinkled my face, trying to make the pain go away, and looked up, only to find Nat's sneer. Behind him, Eustass was watching indifferently, leaning his head on his hand. I saw Killer next to him. He was shaking his shoulders a little bit as if he was laughing. Oh boy, tell me you just didn't laugh at me.

I returned my attention to Nat, who was getting closer to kick me. When he lifted his leg, I took the opportunity to kick him on his calf, since I was on the floor. He lost his balance and fell backwards.

One.

I got up. Nat didn't take his time either and stood on his feet again. His face told me he was not very happy. Neither was I.

Guard high, Nat tried to make me let my guard down by using one hand and tried to hit me with the other one. But he left his right side unprotected, and I could land a punch to his head. I normally wouldn't aim at those body parts, but an eye for an eye...

He got a bit dizzy. I moved around him in circles while I evaded his attempts to hit me. Some of them, though, I had to stop with my arm. Nat backed off with his upper body, wanting to avoid another hit to the head, but forgot his lower body was exposed. I took the advantage of that and kicked him on his stomach. He fell again, crashing with his crewmates.

Two.

The audience got him back on his feet, pushing him, shouting, and clapping. He was preparing to charge at me, headed for my legs. I was used to that technique in Imbir, so I moved back just in time. He didn't get close enough. I turned around him, using his shoulder as support, and climbing up to his back to stop him from getting up.

Three.

Three. Nat fell three times. I won, didn't I? I didn't sense any effort to get me off, so I supposed the fight ended. My hands were slightly trembling against his back. I got up.

Eustass lifted his eyebrows in surprise but was smiling. He started to walk to the middle of the circle, where I was. Oh, shit. What if they didn't like that I beat their crewmate? Did I make them mad? I closed my eyes when Eustass reached his hand at me.

But no hit ever came. I opened my eyes, fearing the scene I could see, but the pirates were cheering me on. Eustass had my arm lifted into the air as a symbol of victory. I had won. And they weren't going to kill me for it. I exhaled, not knowing I was holding my breath and relaxed my shoulders.