19. Marine's Attack

After a few days of Christmas celebrations, we all returned to our monotone life on the ship

After a few days of Christmas celebrations, we all returned to our monotone life on the ship. Training, cooking, cleaning, acting as if there was no tension between the captain and me...

I admit it, I felt something for Kid. I didn't know what, but I felt something. I must be going crazy... How can I like someone like...him? I had already repeated that monologue in my head many times, so I wouldn't add one monologue more to the list.

But nobody said anything about dialogues.

"Are you in love with Kid?" Killer asked me while I received his hits with the broomstick.

This was his marvellous training idea to control my feelings and, therefore, the tactile illusions I couldn't control. I felt, however, that he was using me as a guinea pig to prove his theories after reading philosophy books.

"For the last time, I'm not". I answered, somewhat embarrassed by the subject. "To be in love is too strong...". I averted his gaze.

"So, you're attracted to him?". I kept quiet for a few seconds.

"...Maybe?"

"The sooner you admit it, the better. Controlling your feelings, you'll control your power".

"You can't be sure, though; that's just your hypothesis". I dodged a lunge at me.

"And this hypothesis is the only thing we have. We'll have to work with that".

"Yeah". I sighed. "Anyway, it's not like someone could fall in love with someone that insensitive, violent, and stubborn".

"And despite everything, you're still attracted to him". The blond replied. I pouted.

"...I must have gone bonkers". I concluded.

"What are you afraid of?" Killer took me by surprise. I see. A taste of my own medicine.

I started to think about it. I guessed I feared... the future? The uncertainty? Maybe the fear of losing something again... Upon my silence, Killer continued.

"You must know that it's the first time Kid acts like this with someone. He also was very confused". He let out a dry laugh. "You can imagine it. The first time the blood-thirsty beast feels something different than hate". He made me laugh. "I'm not sure he'll tell you, but he appreciates you, _____". He nodded with his head as if wanting to nail his words in my mind.

"Will he keep appreciating me when he knows I have been lying to him all this time?" I tried to joke, but I was actually worried. Killer shrugged.

"There's nothing for you to lose if you try".

"Nothing to lose?" I scoffed. "I'm pretty sure there have been people who have lost more for less".

"But they didn't kiss the captain".