5. Pies to success

Two days until we reached Magari

Two days until we reached Magari. Chum, the doctor, was putting me an ointment to heal the wound on my lip. Even though that was the least painful of all, my muscles were sore because of yesterday's fight. A bruise over here, another one over there... I stopped thinking about it before I started reminiscing those bad times in Imbir. I didn't want to remember it. Especially that day...

"Done, in a few days it should disappear". Chum cleaned his glasses. I wondered why he was wearing them if they didn't have lenses. "You didn't eat much at breakfast". He told me.

"Neither did you". I answered with a yawn. Chum giggled.

"Neither did everyone. It happens when Heat's second team is in charge of cooking".

"Second team?"

"Yeah, the first team is lead by Killer. He's one of the few that can cook something decent. But when he's busy with the captain in his workshop, Heat replaces him. And as you've seen, he's prone to burn things..." I nodded, remembering a piece of burnt meat I mistook as leather.

"Chum, do you know where I can find Heat?"

"At this time of the day" He put back his medicine bottles in a pantry. "he should be in the poop deck. Look around". I thanked him and got out of the infirmary.

« What else can you do? ». Eustass' words resonated in my mind. I was thinking about it, and I decided that the best I could do was to be on good terms with as many people as possible.

• Guiding them to a treasure✔

• Risking my health to save the betting night✔

• Prevent them from getting poisoned by Heat's food

Although the second goal also won me some bad looks of people who bet against me. No one likes to lose money, I get it. But at least the other half of people seemed happy with the outcome. I had to start somewhere.

Lost in my thoughts, I reached the poop deck. Heat was playing dice with a group of pirates almost as extravagant as them.

They seemed to be betting again, so I understood this was where this type of games took place in.

Suddenly, I thought this was not a good idea. I wasn't that close with them, it was risky. I was going to head back when one of the mates of the blue-haired guy noticed me, and pointed at me with his head, alerting the rest.

I froze in place and smiled innocently at Heat, waving with my hand sticking close to my torso. Heat got up and walked towards me.

"Everything alright?"

"Yeah, uhm...". Shit, now what? Hey, your food sucks, let me cook? No, definitely not, he was not going to like that. "What...what are you guys playing?" Heat looked at me like I lost my mind (or maybe it was his usual expression), but he was patient with me.