21. Second-on-command

I yawned, leaving my mug on the table

"Rough night?", Wire, who was sitting in front me, asked.

"Yes, rough, indeed". I answered.

The passageway could be seen since early in the morning, and the crew had already lowered the sails so the wind wouldn't crash our ship against the spiky rocks. It was going to take a while to cross like that, but it was the safest way.

Somehow, the sky looked darker than usual, but there were no clouds. No birds. No sound. It was too quiet, and it only enhanced the eerie atmosphere.

The little light that came from the early morning sun disappeared when we fully entered the passageway. The walls were higher than our mast, impeding any light to go in or out. The island let us enter, but I wondered if it would let us out.

We spent the following hours on edge, outside, in almost complete silence. Just watching the water of the walls looming over us as if an imminent danger was preying on us.

Not just "as if". There certainly was: the curse.

My grandfather told me that in this passageway is where the spirits would curse anyone with whom they crossed eyes. The thing is these spirits are not visible to the human eye.

To avoid any issues, I was focused on making our ship invisible to any outsider's eyes. Kid just suggested to cover our eyes or look to the floor, but I wasn't going to risk it. We didn't know where those spirits could come from. So, I decided the best idea was that they could not see us, either.

I don't know how much time it had been. It felt like hours. It was hard to maintain such a big illusion for that amount of time. I was starting to get dizzy.

Luckily, my eyes sensed more light coming into my vision. I looked at the bow of the ship, only to see that the tall rock walls were getting shorter and shorter into the distance, disappearing into the water. A few kilometres farther, we could already see land.

I wanted to get up and see it closer, but I stood up too quickly in my actual state. Then, I saw black. And in an instant, as if my memories were a film roll and someone had cut a part of it, I saw the infirmary room.

"I told you it wasn't necessary". Kid complained when he saw me open my eyes.

"You could have lost half the crew your way, stop being so stubborn". I didn't feel like beating around the bush.

Killer entered the room with a bucket of water and a small towel.

"Put this on your forehead, you're burning". The blond said.

"Thank you". I answered.

"Killer, keep an eye on her, I need to talk to the crew". Kid said.

"Have you told them?" I stopped him before he could leave. "That this island is full of mirages? They must not trust anything..." I made sure to emphasize the last part.