8. Waking up from the dream

Two silhouettes were in front of me

Two silhouettes were in front of me. I only saw their backs. I didn't know how, but I was certain they were my parents. I called for them:

"Mom? Dad?" I took a few steps forward, but I felt weird. It seemed as if I was floating, I couldn't feel my feet. When I was about to touch my dad's shoulder, the silhouettes fell as if I had activated the gravity that seemed to lack, revealing a pile of bones and two skulls between rags. I heard a voice. "_____".

I turned around and saw my grandfather. He smiled at me.

"I shouldn't have gotten those ideas stuck in your head,". He shook his head, smiling. "look at what I've done... I'm a mess". He laughed.

"Grandpa? I don't understand..."

"Forgive me, _____. Forgive me for lying to you."

I woke up startled, hyperventilating. I laid down again, closing my eyes in relief. It had been a dream. I brought my hands to my face. My solace didn't last long since I got scared by Killer's mask when I opened my eyes and peeped through my fingers.

"Ah!" I fell from the hammock, trying to get away. "For the love of God..." I brought one hand to my heart. I noticed something was missing: my locket. I palpated my torso, the floor and, finally, the hammock. Where was it? I looked at Killer. Oh, great, he had it.

"Is this your grandfather?" He looked at the picture.

"Yeah, how do you know?" I got up from the floor and brushed my hair with my fingers a bit.

"Toba told me". He closed the locket and gave it back. Fucking blabbermouth. Mental note: watch out with what you tell Toba. "Time for training".

I gulped.

The next thing I knew is that I was standing on a one-metre barrel on one foot. My mission was not to fall while I practised creating illusions.

"Focus". Killer insisted. To aggravate it more, he was hitting me with a broomstick. "Your mirages fade away if you're not concentrated enough. So, let's practice that". He hit me on the leg. Yeah, sure. He might be right on a 90%... on the other 10%, he just wanted to see me suffer.

I tried to imagine an armed pirate in front of me once again. I thought that the facial features were too useless and complicated to maintain, especially if I wasn't trying to imagine a known person, so I just created him with a simple white mask.

"If it's still, there's no problem. Make it move". Followed by another hit on my back that almost made me lose my balance, and I had to move my arms like a bird not to fall. I did as told and controlled my puppet's movements, who was now doing some sword tricks Toba taught me. Maybe it was a bit unnatural, but it was better than my previous try.