6. Tempest

Lightning lighted up the mess hall

Lightning lighted up the mess hall. Five seconds pass... Another thunder. The sound of rain falling on the water and the wood grows louder every second.

"Every man to their stations, now! I'm not risking if the storm grows stronger". Eustass ordered. I didn't know he could make wise decisions, what a surprise.

Everyone got up from their tables to head to the deck. Toba did the same, and I looked at him, waiting for instructions on what to do. A storm drill would have come in handy in these situations, but it was too late for that. He exited without even looking at me, too focused on following the captain's order, so I just followed his steps. I didn't want to be left there doing nothing.

The moment I crossed the door, I felt like a punch on my face. Wind, rain, cold. Black clouds covered the sky. It was morning, but it could've been mistaken for the night since there was no sign of light in the sky aside from the random bolt. I tied my hair in a ponytail, not wanting to have problems with the wind.

The waves were not very high, but I felt real terror. The ocean was a wolf's mouth, everything was dyed in black. The ship rocked too harshly, and I thought we were done for. I searched for Toba with my gaze in case they needed help.

Fuck, no. I turned my head around just in time to see Toba falling overboard. With a horrified expression, he held onto the railing with both hands and tried to climb up, but the tilted position of the ship and the rain that was falling stronger now were not helping.

"Toba!" My scream was drowned in the din. I slid over the deck towards Toba, making sure not to slip, but it was impossible. I crashed with the railing, hurting my chest, and letting out an inaudible cry. But I didn't lose time to recompose, and I grabbed Toba's hand, trying to lift him up on a safe surface.

I was strong, but not enough. The ship kept tilting. At this pace, he was going to fall. A few steps to my left was a rope tied to the railing. The other end was free. Quickly, I pounced to get it, planning to lift Toba up with it.

The storm was brutal.

I tried to tie the rope to Toba's arm, in vain. The ship was practically vertical, instead of horizontal. I was going to fall.

But Toba fell first.

"No!" I closed my eyes. Without a second thought, even though my legs were shaking, by inertia, I jumped to the water with the rope in my hand. With those three seconds before hitting the water, I thought: "What have I done?".

I lifted my head through the water, breathing in. If I have ever said I was scared, I withdraw those words because this was definitely the scariest moment in my life. A brave black sea was different from a threatening pirate. Floating next to an immense ship was also intimidating, but I guess not as much as floating with no ship around to save you.

Toba wasn't very far away. He was also trying not to drown, but with difficulty. It looked like he had hurt his arm. He threw an incredulous look at my directions, and if he hadn't wanted to keep his breath, he probably would have shouted at me that what was my problem.