3. Place your bets

The sunlight through the window or the caws of the crows asking for food would normally wake me up

The sunlight through the window or the caws of the crows asking for food would normally wake me up. But not today. An alarm clock wouldn't have been necessary anyway. I was already awake. How much did I sleep? ...Two hours, at most? Not surprising though, I don't think anyone could sleep in a pirate ship after being kidnapped.

I got up with difficulty, stretching. Ouch, ouch... Sleeping on the wood planks wasn't a good idea. I stretched my neck carefully. Crack. I didn't dare to lay on one of those flour bags, even though the idea was more tempting now. Although I admit I used one as a pillow. I will think of something for the following nights. Following... I shook my head, wanting to evade intrusive thoughts in the early morning.

The rest of the ship seemed to be in silence. Just a slight creaking of the wood and the rocking of the ship against the waves was heard. What time is it? I wish I had a window there, but then I thought it would be a stupid idea. Unless I wanted the water to fill the room and drown. I will save that as my last option.

Someone opened the door, making me jump. I realized no one seemed to knock before entering a room in this ship. Yet again, it would probably be something they did with me, who could not complain.

"Good morning! Ehm..." It was Toba. He stopped in the middle of the sentence, not knowing what to say. He let out a silly laugh. "Where were my manners? I didn't ask for your name yesterday". I sighed.

"_____". I answered, jaundiced. I didn't want to see his punkie mohawk at such early hours. Not my definition of a good start of the day.

"Yeah, right, _____... Nah, too long, I'll call you... __? __?". He started to say nicknames. "Tch, why do you have such a difficult name to abbreviate?"

"You can just not abbreviate it". I answered. Please, don't abbreviate it.

"Well, I'll stick with __ for the moment". He offered me a big smile, ignoring my previous petition. I saw he had a golden tooth. Kid Pirate's aesthetic, I guess. "Now get your ass moving, or you won't get any breakfast".

If I were a dog, my ears would have perked up like aerials. Food. I didn't even remember how hungry I was. As if it had been summoned, my stomach growled, and I got up from the barrel to go to the door. Toba shook his head, laughing, and guided me to the deck. Once again, I tried to memorize the path we took. You never know when you may need it.

Toba opened the door of what looked like the dining hall: a big chamber with various rectangular tables, long enough to fit all the members of the crew. There were no chairs. Instead, there were planks like picnic tables had. My heart started to beat faster when I saw the room was full, and that almost everyone turned around to look at me. I wanted to look down, but I didn't want to show submission, so I looked at Toba, who still had that clown smile and guided me to a table without paying attention to the choir of gossips and curious looks.

"Hey Toba, since when is there a woman in the crew?" Spoke a guy with a full mouth. Actually, it sounded more like: "Fey Tofa, simfe when if there a womam in the croo?".