2. Ill-fated

"Didn't you see that coming in your magic ball?" another voice from the crew of the Kid Pirates mocked me

"Didn't you see that coming in your magic ball?" another voice from the crew of the Kid Pirates mocked me. This joke only started two minutes ago, but it felt like an eternity. I should've seen it coming. Oh, shit, I fell for it, too.

The same blue-haired guy from before came with my bag. Did he bother to pick up my stuff to bring them to me? Wow, maybe I judged them too soon.

"Captain, what do we do with this?"

"There's only trash, isn't there? Throw it somewhere". Kid answered as if it were obvious.

I take it back, fuck them.

"Wait! I need that bag... if you want me to be able to help you find the treasure, of course". I couldn't help but lower my head with those last words. Time to pray.

Kid sighed and made a gesture with his hand, which I understood as "It can't be helped". Right after that, the blue-hair threw the bag at my face. Thank God I have reflexes and caught it just in time. I was going to thank him, but after thinking it through, he didn't deserve it.

"Are you going to trust a swindler, Kid?". The blond, Killer, said. I was also asking myself the same question, and no possible answer made me feel better.

"It's up to her". He looked at me as if he were a lion. His gaze was even more menacing, I would say. He got closer, and at each step, he looked as if he was getting bigger. "If she's speaking the truth, she could be useful on our way. However, if she lies..." I could smell his breath due to his face's proximity, and I could practically identify the liquor he was drinking. Rum, maybe, I wasn't an expert. He didn't finish his sentence, but it wasn't necessary. I understood it clearly.

Killer sighed and looked at me. Well, I couldn't tell with the mask, so he just turned his head in my direction, I guess. Let me try and use my psychic powers... Hmm, yep, clearly, he's thinking: "She won't last a minute on the ship". I agree.

"Where's your ring?"

"Pardon?" I answered a few seconds too late, surprised by his question.

"Weren't you wearing a ring before?" He pointed to my hand. F-u-c-k. He was observant. If this was any normal situation in the tavern, I could have made anyone believe they never saw a ring, in the first place. But now I felt as if my lies were written on my forehead. Change of plans.

"Oh, you're right". I looked at my bare hand, faking a subtle surprise, puckering my lips in defeat. His silence made me nervous, and I continued talking, even though that was probably his intention. "Well, it wasn't anything valuable". I bit my lip and looked at the path that led to my home. The crows were probably waiting for me there. Sorry, guys. I regret not training them as bodyguards.

Killer just nodded. I don't know if he was convinced or not.

"Move, assholes! We're going" Eustass called his crew, and everyone started to walk towards the ship, the Victoria Punk. I wouldn't have moved from my spot, hoping I could find a moment of distraction to escape if only the flood of sweaty men didn't push me in the same direction. These were going to be very long days if I survived the first one.