23. The symbol

"And? You know which one is it, don't you?", he crossed his arms, "Don't you?"

I looked at him in the eye and managed to whisper:

"No."

"What?" He couldn't believe his ears.

"I don't know which one is the correct symbol", I furrowed my lips in a straight line, ashamed. His silence made me want to justify myself, even if that would anger him more, "M-my granddad described it to me, sure, but there are so many and they're too similar, I could make mistake in any detail and then..."

"And then?". He interrupted me.

"And then a horde of living skeletons would attack us".

"Is this another joke?"

"No! This is for real", I exclaimed, "My grandad had to fight a lot of them before finding the correct door... He was lucky".

"It can't be that difficult; we'll defeat them like those ugly birds".

"Oh, no, no", I stopped him, "These are way stronger than those birds", I pointed to the grass, "All of this is a cemetery for ancient warriors of Fatamorgana that died centuries ago. They have armours", I started to count with my fingers, "they have weapons, they're ready to fight. And they're dead!"

"And?". Kidd asked again. I almost facepalmed.

"You can't shoot them or stab them with a knife", I shook my head, "They'll keep attacking you; there's no way to make them stop using brute force (I'm looking at you). The only way they will come to a halt is by opening the correct door".

"And what's the problem?", he rose his voice, "Let's open every single door if necessary, and let's enter the correct one".

"It's not that easy". I whispered, trying to make him see reason. Didn't this man see drawbacks in anything?

"Why not?"

"Because more warriors will come out each time you open a door".

"How many can they be?" He said mockingly.

"More than ten thousand?"

"Is that for real?", his expression changed. I nodded, "And there are more than twenty doors, what a nuisance..."

"I could...", I started to weave a plan. Maybe I could make us disappear with a mirage if they didn't move, and... My thoughts came to a halt when I saw Kid breaking out the big guns.

"Listen up, assholes! Get ready to fight!". He smirked sadistically. Great, we were going to do this with brute force. As expected from him.

The crew prepared themselves for the battle, and I wasn't the exception. I unsheathed my hidden blades, my gaze fixed on the ground.