Chapter 29.5 [Sadiq]

Sadiq no longer had any idea how to act at the gala now. He no longer knew how to act around Flavio and his brother anymore. Of all the answers in the world, he wasn't expecting those words to come out of Flavio's mouth. Sadiq felt bad for him. He still didn't know what happened at the shopping plaza, but whatever happened made Flavio very emotional and vulnerable.

"A broken family?" Sadiq repeated with confusion.

". One that's been broken for a long time."

"How so?"

Flavio sighed. Sadiq knew that he hit a nerve somewhere. He understood if Flavio didn't feel like sharing. However, he was surprised that Flavio began to actually tell him about his family; That he began to share emotions that were clearly meant to be buried.

"You know about my little brother and I. My fratello is... Not always the best person. I can barely say anything about that since I'm not the best person either... But you must understand our family before you try to understand us. So... Do you really want to learn about it, ibrido?"

Silence cloaked the room. It took a second for Sadiq to remember to respond. He almost forgot that he had a voice of his own.

"Evet. Yes." Sadiq said in both Turkish and English. He nodded his head as well, having his action correspond with the meaning of his words.

Sadiq then listened quietly as Flavio told him about his family. Flavio's family was in disagreement about a topic for a long time. However, the topic didn't pose much of issue until there was death of a family member. After that, the two sides suddenly become black and white. The main conflict, though, was no longer due to the disagreement. The main conflict now had to do with the death.

Flavio's grandfather was killed by his own brother. Everyone was told that the event was accidental; That the murder was only carried out because of impaired judgment. But who makes the mistake of killing one of their own? Who makes the mistake of killing their own brother?

Murder by oneself is not accidental. When someone wants to kill, they kill. This is the ideology that Flavio and Luciano have. So, to avenge his grandfather, Luciano then killed his great uncle. He wasn't going to be a coward about it either. He wasn't intoxicated with alcohol or drugs. He wasn't afraid of the consequences. Luciano took a knife and went through with his plan without hesitation and succeeded.

Luciano never got caught either. No one could match any evidence to him. Both Luciano and Flavio made sure of that. One of their own was taken from them. A force of violent retaliation was necessary for revenge. However, even if Luciano got away with a clean slate, the other half of the family knew what had happened. They didn't need evidence to tell them the truth. They knew it in their hearts that he was murdered on purpose. He was murdered and didn't get justice.

With two family members dead, the Vargas family finally split into two, referring to the other half as Uno or Due. It didn't take much brain power to know what those names stood for: Whoever made the first kill. Flavio and Luciano's side of the family were known as Due, or Two. The other side was known as Uno, or One in English.

Because of the separation, Flavio hasn't seen nor interacted with that half of his family since then. It was forbidden to have contact with the other side. Flavio wasn't that affected by this. He wasn't until today, at least. On the Uno side of his family, Flavio had three cousins. Out of the three, only two were his age. The names of those two were Lovino and Feliciano.

Flavio spoke of his cousins and how he never liked them that much. But he also said that the reason why he never liked them was because he wanted to be them. His cousins seemed to have had better upbringings than them. And they also appeared to have been more successful legally because of that. Luciano and Flavio were raised harshly. They hardly had any love in their life. Love was really just an myth to them. No one sticks around long enough without wanting something in return, and no stays forever.