Chapter 19

The song for this chapter is Better With You by Jesse McCartney. Follow the official playlist of Chasing Mr. Right at #CMRPlaylist on Spotify. Thank you so much and enjoy reading!

CHAPTER 19

"WHAT IF HE told you from the very start that he's into that kind of relationship, what would you do?" Anya asked me after I finished sharing with her my and Keith's story. But I didn't tell her yet that the person in my story was Kenzo.

"Maybe I did not pursue him anymore..." I answered with all honesty.

"But do you accept him for that?"

"Of course, and I even respect him. I will have nothing against him having his own multiple partners. What I was just against was that he lied to me. Besides... I don't think I can be in that kind of relationship with him, regardless if I was really the one that he loves. I don't think I'm cut out for that kind of relationship because trusting is really hard for me. So, if he told me that earlier, maybe we could have been just friends. And I will accept him for who he is but only as a friend."

Anya nodded then she looked intently at me. She's always like this whenever she's thinking about something.

"So, you would choose not to pursue him even though you knew you liked him then? Just because he is a polyamorous guy, and you're not? 'Di ba sabi nila if mahal mo ang isang tao, tatanggapin mo siya ng buong puso?"

I chuckled after hearing her question. Her innocence is making me love her even more.

"I already told you, I would accept him if that who he truly is. But not to the point that I would force myself to stay in a relationship that I am not okay with. Do you get me?" I asked. Anya's still staring at me and I know she wants me to elaborate.

"I respect his preference, and I'm okay with that. But that doesn't mean I'm okay with being in a relationship with him while he's having other partners. Although I am amazed about the level of trust and communication they have with each other with their setup, I don't really think I can do the same thing. We have our own kind of love that we are looking for, and we're like parallel lines that would never meet."

"I see..."

"I don't want to force him with what I want, and he can't force me with what he wants either. So instead of getting ourselves hurt even more because we try to make a relationship work out, when it would really never work out, ending the relationship is the best choice we could make. I don't want to hurt the people I love. So if you're no longer happy with the relationship you're in, then better leave. Before you hurt the person you love. Before you could make things worse. Because if you would just keep running in a circle of your relationship's misery, the pain would never end and things would just keep on getting worse."

"You know what, Sy? I'm proud of how brave you are. It may seem that you only chose yourself, but in fact, you also saved the other guy from the worst thing he could ever experience. Sa tingin ko kasi ay kaunting tao lang ang kayang makagawa ng ginawa mo. As long as they could, some people would choose to endure the pain, hoping that they could change the person they love. Until they forget about themselves. Until they forget that they are really hurting each other because they can't differentiate which is love and pain anymore. I think that's one of the most tragic things ever."

I cupped her cheeks with my both hands and stared into her eyes. She looked sad while saying those things earlier, and I don't want to scare her with my experience. I want to ensure that those things would never happen to her.

"You will never experience that, okay? I will take care of you, and love you with all my heart, so you won't experience what you think is the most tragic thing about love. I can't promise you that we would never fight, I can't promise you that I would never make you cry. But I will do my best to take care of your heart, to take care of you, and to cherish you."