Chapter 25

The song for this chapter is Just Say Yes by Snow Patrol. Follow the official playlist of Chasing Mr. Right at #CMRPlaylist on Spotify. This is the last chapter, the next one will be the epilogue. Enjoy reading! :)

CHAPTER 25

AS SOON AS my car stopped in front of their house, Anya immediately rushed outside without letting me open the door for her. I just shook my head with a smile, then walked out of the car to follow her. She opened the gate and looked back at me with a huge smile plastered on her face. Kanina pa sa byahe ang ngiti niyang 'yan. Alam mong sobrang excited siya sa inihanda namin para sa kanyang kaarawan.

We have reached their house a few minutes before midnight. The perfect timing I was waiting for. At least I don't need to stall so much longer because since Anya already knew that we have some sort of surprise for her, it would be harder to distract her now. She's now thinking about nothing but the supposed surprise party for her.

"Come on, Sy," she called me. "It's my birthday in a few minutes!" she's so cute beaming with so much joy and excitement.

"Can't you at least pretend that you don't know anything about the surprise? I have pretty messed it up already. Ayoko namang masayang ang effort nila para dito." Sabi ko kay Anya nang maabutan ko siya. I immediately held her hand and intertwined our fingers.

"You didn't mess up anything!" she replied. "Look, I'm so excited pa nga, eh!"

When we reached the doorstep of their house, I pulled her back to stop her from opening the door. Not yet. I want to have her for myself for now, before we all celebrate this one of the special days in her life.

"Sy, one minute na lang birthday ko na! 'Di ba gan'on dapat? Mga one minute before the celebrant's birthday, nasa loob na ako para pagpasok ko, birthday ko na tapos sisigaw sila ng 'Happy birthday!' sa'kin?"

I just smiled at her and looked at my wristwatch. She didn't say anything and just waited for me as we both stood in front of their main door. "Five..." I started counting down and she just frowned. "Four... three... two..."

When the clock struck at midnight, I lifted my head and locked gazes with Anya. I smiled at her and said, "I love you..."

Her cheeks were painted red, flustered with what I told her. She might have been expecting that I will be greeting her, but I want to tell her how I feel for her first.

"Happy birthday, my love," I continued. "I will never know how love is so beautiful if it weren't for you. You scared me the moment we first met because I was so scared that I won't be able to return the love that you've been confessing to me since day one. But you never pressured me. You allowed us to take our time if we both want to do this; if we can really do this."

Anya's eyes started to water but it didn't make her eyes less beautiful. Her lips are slightly parted. Either she wants to say something or she's overwhelmed with what I am saying.

"I even felt so lucky that I have someone willing to make me feel that I deserve all the love you've been giving me, regardless of my gender and despite my fears that became the reason why I had pushed you away so many times. But you still stayed, you still loved me, and you give me more than enough reasons to love once again. On top of all the reasons you gave me, it's you, it's because of you that I love once again. And I can't imagine loving anyone else but you, Anya. Only you."

Anya looked up to the skies to stop her tears from falling, and when she returned her gaze to me, a smile was formed on her lips.

"The past two weeks made me realize so many things, Anya. I have been so lucky since the day I met you, that I never want to lose you, and I never want to love anyone else..." I paused for a moment before smiling at her once again and placed her hand on top of my chest where my heart is. "My heart only beats for you, love. And I have been wanting to be your boyfriend for a long time now."

Her eyes grow wider. She might have realized where my words are going. So I smirked at her and didn't let her interrupt me.

"Will you be my girlfriend?" I asked her with a grin on my face. Before she beat me to it, I wanted to be the one to ask her. Because I want to know if she still wants to be my significant other; if she still wants to be with me.

Doon na pumatak ang mga luha niya. I just hope and wish those tears streaming down her face are tears of joy.

"Ang daya mo naman, eh!" Anya said, slightly hitting my chest but I grabbed her hand once again keeping it in place. "Ako dapat ang magtatanong n'on. Ako nga ang nanliligaw, 'di ba?"

I chuckled and smiled fondly at her. "I'm sorry if I beat you to it, but my love, I want to know your answer. You've been doing all the efforts, so let me have this moment of asking you. Will you still love me, not just today and for as long as we're together? Will you still love me tomorrow? Will you still love me in the future? Will you still love me always? Because I'm sure as hell that I will, I will always love you. So, love, please tell me if you still want to be my girlfriend?"

"S'yempre naman!" She replied to me, still crying. "I always wanted to be your girlfriend, so yes, love. I'm your girlfriend now!"

Damn, my heart feels like it's about to burst because of so much happiness. I hugged Anya so tight and whispered to her repeatedly that I love her. She's still crying though, but at least I know because she's very much as happy as I am. And I can also feel her heart beating so fast like mine.

But she suddenly pulled away from our hug. She looked at me with a frown, she's even slightly pouting. She does this whenever she's about to have a tantrum so I felt nervous all of a sudden. What did I possibly do to make her like this? She was just happy seconds ago, for God's sake!

"Bakit kung kailan birthday ko pa tsaka mo ako sinagot?!" nakasimangot na tanong ni Anya.

"What, why? Why are you suddenly grumpy about it? I have been wanting to be your boyfriend for a long time now, as I have told you earlier. But I figured I'd want to make it happen on your birthday because I want your birthday to be extra special for the two of us." I answered defensively.

Lalong sumimangot si Anya. Akala ko pa naman matutuwa siya sa sinabi ko!

"Eh, paano kapag nag-break tayo? Edi masasaktan lang ako sa tuwing mag-bi-birthday ako?"

My heart softened with her question. I can't help but smile at how innocent she is, and at how she can make me fall in love with her over and over again.

"Silly," I told her then grabbed her hand, squeezing it gently. "Who said I'm going to let that happen? I can't promise you a perfect relationship, but I can promise you my heart and that I will love you for the rest of our lives. I'm not planning to mess things up between the two of us, neither planning of breaking your heart. I won't be tired of saying that you're the only one I want to be with, you're the only one I want to love. Unless you want me to let go, then I'll hold on to you until then."

She pulled me to a hug, wrapping her arms around my waist and I hugged her back, caressing her soft hair. "I would never ask you to let me go because all I want is to be in your arms. And all those things you said about me, you're all those to me as well. I love you so much, Symon. And I trust you as much as I love you."

"And I will hold your love and trust dearly, with all my heart."

As we enjoy the warmth of our embrace, the place suddenly lit up, enough for us to see how the garden turned so beautiful to match tonight's celebration. And there, we saw our families and friends who I know have witnessed us confessing our love to each other. We pulled away from our hug, but my arms are still wrapped around Anya's shoulder. Her eyes started to water once again upon seeing our loved ones.

"Happy birthday, Anya!" they all greeted in unison when Anya's eyes met theirs. And Anya shed tears once again, and for the rest of the night; so much tears of happiness.