Chapter 30

Jake's POV

I get back to the castle early in the morning around five. I wanted to get here sooner but didn't want to overwork myself. I'm tired and feel like I'm about to fall out even though I only walked back.

I go to the wall of the castle and climb over it swiftly but with more effort than normal. I go to the entrance of the castle to look for Aragon. I turn a corner and see him by the stairs talking to Emily...GREAT can life get any worse.

"Aragon" I said, walking up to them.

He turned around with a smile. "Ah lord Jake what can I do for you this fine morning"

"Do you know where the prince is? It's urgent"

"Yes I can take you to his chambers just give me one second and get Emily what she needs"

With that he walked away leaving us alone.

"It's good to see you again Jake we should hang out sometimes" she said smiling and playing with her hair.

"Sorry I'm busy"

"I didn't even say a time" she said getting a little upset. "Besides you should hang out with more people besides your sister and that witch"

"What did you say?" Getting tense trying not to lose my cool.

"Woah don't get all mad" she laughed "I'm just saying people like us should stick together"

"Don't you ever call her that again" I said raising my voice a little "we are nothing alike"

Before she could say anything Aragon came back and told me to follow him. I walked away from Emily waiting for him to tell her whatever she wanted to know and then he lead me to the prince.

He walked me to a room and told me the prince is expecting me and to just knock on the door and with that he left.

I took a deep breath to calm myself and knocked on the door. When he opened the door I went straight into his room and said "we need to talk"

"Kind of rude to barge in here without permission." he said before sighing. The prince goes to sit in a chair. Just in front of him are stacks of paper, nearly toppling over by how tall they are. "What do you want?"

"I saw a man that looked familiar somehow and I needed to tell you"

Before the prince looked like he wasn't interested in listening to me, but once he heard what I just said, his attention was immediately on me. His posture before was relaxed but now it is tense.

"A man? When did this happen?" the prince asked. "Where did it happen?"

"I kinda sorta left to go back to my village. I fell asleep on the ground he was there when I woke up"

The prince gives me an unimpressed look. He sighs as he pushes some of his hair back.

"If you plan on leaving the castle, at least inform me first." he said. "As for the man, did he say or do anything?"

"He said that he wasn't needed yet, that he was unwanted. He said he wasn't going to hurt me and then said to watch my back." I shrug "whatever all that means and then he left"

"And that is all he said? Do you know what he looks like?"

"Yes that is all he said. He had dark long hair and yellow looking eyes why?"

"A man with long hair and yellow eyes." the prince mumbled to himself. "I don't think he is part of the group that killed your parents. If I were to guess, he might be working alone."

I stared at him in confusion. "What does my parents death have to do with this? They were killed by the townspeople...don't really remember all of them just remember watching them die" I said getting upset.

"WHAT ARE YOU NOT TELLING ME?" I started to yell.

I watch his mouth open, but no sound comes out. No, a different noise was coming from somewhere else. My mind goes blank as my body moves on their own. The prince lets out a yelp as I tackle him to the ground.

"Wha-" the prince tried to say but was cut off by something behind me. "Guards!"

I look over my shoulder and see a person crouching down. I can't see what they look like as their entire body is covered besides their eyes. At first I thought it was the man that I met at the cemetery, but this person's eyes are brown. I hear the person click their tongue. They raised an arm up, showing a knife in their hands, and were ready to strike. But it was too late as multiple footsteps rushed towards this room. Again, the person clicks their tongue and makes their escape out the window. I try to chase them, but they jump off before I can grab them.

"Crazy bastard," the prince said as he looked down. To where the person jumped. I also look down but I find no bodies on the ground. "Go to your room, Jake."

The prince walks away from the balcony and goes to the guards. He starts ordering them. The guards did not hesitate to follow them and rush out of the room in a matter of minutes.

"What the hell was that?" I said trying to stay calm.

"Seems like someone has sent an assassin to come after me." he said. "This is nothing new."

I looked at him like he was nuts. "Nothing new. What the hell! this happens often?"

He just shrugs. "It is the price to pay when you are a prince. Now, if you would excuse me..."

The prince moves to the door, but he pauses just as he was about to walk out.

"Oh," the prince said, "can you keep this a secret? I don't want people to worry about this."

He was halfway out the door, but I stopped him.

"Are you serious? Keep it a secret? You're putting us all in danger. You brought Danielle and TN here knowing that they aren't safe. What if they get hurt huh?" I scoff. "But you don't care right? You don't care about anyone but yourself" I shook my head getting upset.

"Well if they get hurt that's on you...and then you'll have to deal with me"

And with that I walked passed him going to my room.