Chapter 2

~Danielle's POV~

I was walking in a dark place. Just wandering around in the woods, wondering where I was. All around me were trees but it felt like I wasn't alone. Like someone watching me... wait, not someone but something. I slowly turn around, but nothing is there. I walk a little faster, but I still hear something behind me as if they were following me. Up ahead I see a cave. Something about it is strange. I didn't want to go towards it, but my body thinks otherwise, which was even stranger. When I got close to the cave, I heard something behind me again. I turned around and saw two eyes staring at me. I didn't know what it was. I started backing away until I tripped on a rock and fell into the cave. I fell deeper and deeper into the darkness. I could see my life flash before my eyes. I see the ground and I scream.

-End of Dream-

I wake up in a familiar room. What I saw it was a dream, but I was still scared. My dreams, well the few I have, usually come true. I know it's crazy, but it seems like they do. When I was little, I dreamed that my parents would die, and they did. It was more horrifying in real life then it was in the dream though... I need some fresh air. My brother said it was all in my head. That it was just the grief as to why I had that dream. He didn't even realize I said that I had it before... he was just as bad as me. He's the oldest, so he had to get a job at the market to take care of me to go to school. Speaking of school, I should get ready even though I feel like laying back in bed and going to sleep. I wonder what that dream meant... none of my dreams give me reality. Just a stranger version of it.

I look around my tiny room. I just have a bed in the corner of my room with a desk on the other side and a door to my bathroom next to my bed. I also have a bookshelf on the other wall by my window with books on it. I get up and get dressed. I have a black shirt on with pants and my favorite pair of black boots. I leave my room and eat a small snack. I walk out of my house and into the busy marketplace. There are people everywhere. Sometimes, it could get crowded in the morning. I try to keep my head down but as I suspected he saw me he always does.

"Hey, Danielle. Come here," Brent said standing behind his cart. I walked over to him. He was selling bread. Brent has been my childhood friend, but I know he wanted more. He was always so obvious with his feelings with me... no wonder why his mom thinks we would be a great couple. She probably already has the wedding plans ready for when I change my mind which is never going to happen. I don't like him like that, but obviously she and him thinks differently.

"Hello. Can I help you with something?"

"Wow! Why so rude? I thought we were friends?" He had the audacity to wink at me.

"We all know you want more than a friendship." another voice said, and I turned around to my brother standing behind me looking at Brent with an intense face on. At least he knew I wasn't interested but then again, he is very protective of me.

We almost looked alike. We had the same dark brown hair, but he had beautiful green eyes while I had dark brown eyes. He was tall and had a tan just like me. I was shorter but that is to be expected since he is a guy. He had some muscles, but this was because he worked at a farm down the way. He handled cattle and horses, so of course he needs to be strong. I wouldn't say my brother was attractive, but he wasn't ugly, and all the girls fell for him. I always constantly roll my eyes at them giving him the attention. He definitely didn't need more for his ego.

"Umm... Hey, Jake. What's up?" Brent looked nervous. I could tell he could never look my brother in the eyes.

"You're getting in the way of my sister going to school." Jake said in a serious tone.

"Oh, ummm, I was just going to ask if she wanted a piece of bread. Do you?" He gave me a small smile. I'll admit, he wasn't bad looking. Brent had dirty blond hair with blue eyes. He was very handsome, but I never felt that way about him. I thought of him as only a friend, but he never discouraged from telling me how much he enjoys my company while complementing me all the time.

"I'm ok. Thanks, Brent. I will see you in a little bit." I smiled and walked away with my brother.

"You didn't have to be rude." I told my brother while he looked around us.

"You always are. Plus, I was just being straightforward with him."

"By crushing his dreams?" We walked by a couple more people behind carts selling things from candy to cloths to things like meat.

"It's never going to happen. I was just sparing his feelings."

"You can't say it's never going to happen. You don't know." Which was true at a certain age. I have to start dating and I didn't have that many options all the boys. I knew those who were my age were ugly. He was the only older boy who was into me for some strange reason.

"Whatever you have plenty of options with sometime to decide"

"Not a lot of time, Jake, and he's the only one that would actually ask me to marry them. Besides every other boy is either ugly or already made their choice." In our village, the girls would start dating at 18. Right now, I'm 17 and I'm running out of time. Boys our age can ask us, but older boys who didn't pick someone because they got conscripted or had to work right away and didn't have time can pick as well.

"Well, it was fun having this chat, but I have to go to work. See you at home later, okay?"

"Yeah, see you later." He left, and I went back to go get the bread Brent offered because I got hungry. A couple of minutes late to school won't hurt...

Will it?

Written by: Danielle418