Chapter 18

I follow the doctor back to the room, and I see Danielle standing in the waiting room for me.

"Thank God, you're ok." I said as I went to hug her.

Before I could, she holds out her hands to stop me.

"It's not like I'm dying. Come on, let's go."

She leaves with me following behind. We go up to our rooms with me knowing exactly where to go and Danielle getting lost the whole time. She opens the door to her room, allowing me to come in.

"What's on your mind?" I asked.

I close the door as she goes to the window that leads to a balcony looking out.

"I need to talk to the prince and tell him." she said, not looking at me.

"Are you crazy?! We promised." I exclaimed.

She turns around quickly.

"I know that," she shouted but quieted down, "but what if I can't control it again? Like last time huh?"

I look into her eyes. She has sadness in them and also guilt.

"We swore to never bring that up. Besides, you were a kid. You learned how to handle it."

I hate it. I absolutely hate it when she blames herself.

"Maybe he can help." she mumbled, more to herself than me but I can still hear her.

She is crazy if she thinks she can trust him.

"Danielle..." I tried to reason, but she cuts me off.

"I don't want to talk anymore."

She turns to the window again and I sigh. I walk out of her room and into my own. I undo the tie and cuff the sleeves of my shirt to my elbow. This room is too big. I don't like it. I sit on my bed and stare into space. I hear a knock on my door 30 minutes later. I get up and it's Aragon.

"Lord Jake, it's time for lunch." he said.

I see my sister behind him and I nod. We walk to another door and when I hear her voice, I recognize it immediately. When she walks out, I immediately walk right next to her as the other two walk ahead. I ask just to make sure she's better because I was worried about her, but she just shrugs it off and says she's fine. I try not to talk too much because she seems like she didn't want to talk to me. I mean she did ask about my sister, but that was it. I hope I didn't offend her or anything like that.

We walk into a big dining hall with people eating different kinds of food. Aragon leaves us to get someone to serve us. Danielle is already sitting down and I sit across from her. I looked at TN, who is still standing.

"Will you join us?" I asked. "It's okay if you say no. I was just asking."

TN looks at me with a surprise look on her face. Well, it looks like she was surprised. Her face hasn't changed much, but her eyes grow wide a little bit. Dark, who is sitting by TN's legs, looks up at her. TN didn't say anything for a minute. She stares into my eyes, making me feel like she is looking into my soul.

Strange. When she stares at me, it isn't because of my looks. It is more like she is trying to see what is inside of me. Who I am? This is completely different from the usual stares I get. It is kind of refreshing.

"Are you fine with that?" She finally said. "People might give you strange looks again."

She looks down at her feet. Dark must have sensed something and presses his body against TN's leg. Now that I see it, TN and Dark have a very interesting relationship. At first, I thought they have a master and pet relationship, but TN never seems to treat Dark like he is a pet. Instead, she treats him more like a human, like Dark wasn't a wolf at all. It is strange, but it's nice.

She is full of surprises. That is for sure.

"I'm used to them staring anyway. please sit."

I scoot over to give her room to sit next to me. Danielle gives TN and me a strange look before minding her own business again. She knows what I mean. After our parents death, the town kept their eyes on us. Always staring and then stopping when they found something else to gossip about. After that I had to worry about girls chasing after me.

A person brings all three of us food and leaves. I look up at TN again, waiting for her response. But she says nothing. She just sits next to me. Dark goes under the table and lays there. Looking at the food in front of her, TN frowns at it. She splits her food in half and gives one half to Dark. The rest she keeps on the tray. She still didn't talk. Instead, she starts eating.

I look at Danielle and she's just staring at her at her food. Before I could ask if she's alright she gets up.

"I'm going to my room. I'm not hungry."

"Danielle..." I started but it was no use.

She leaves without saying anything else.

I look at TN and say, "I'm sorry about her. It's not you. I don't know what's gotten into her."

I lean over, grabbing the tray Danielle left untouched. I push the tray towards TN.

"For you or if you want to give it to Dark."

"You sure?" TN asked. "You don't want it?"

"No, I'm fine. Besides you should be able to eat a full plate of food and so should Dark."

I remember all the times I went hungry because I didn't make enough money. Although, I always made sure Danielle had something. It was kinda the same here. I don't want her to go hungry. TN looks down at Danielle's food before pushing it towards me.

"I can hear your stomach growling from miles away." TN said. " I think you need this more than me."

I couldn't help but laughed.

"How about we share it, deal?"

TN didn't respond for a minute before nodding her head. She grabs the tray and divides the food in half. She pushes some of the food towards me and keeps the other half to herself.

I smile and take the food gladly. Eating in silence but it wasn't the awkward silence. It was a calming silence and I was okay with it.