Chapter 20

~Jake's POV~

I couldn't sleep last night. After I had dinner with TN, I tried to talk to Danielle, but she just told me to go away. I laid in my bed, waiting for sleep that never came. I was worried about her... very worried. So, the only thing I could do was toss and turn until I saw the sun rise. When it did, I did my normal exercise routine I used to do at home. When I was done, I took a bath and got dressed.

I put on a blue shirt with black pants and my work boots. I decided that I didn't want to wear that awful uniform again. After I got dressed, I left my room to just wander the halls until I saw TN at her door.

TN handed me my blazer, which I put on. We talked and decided to go and do some training. I asked her what her power was because I forgot, and she just wanted to do hand to hand combat. Well with swords but still. The thing that struck me was that she said that her power is fire. I was very surprised when I heard that. Our parents said it was rare for a person to control fire and told us the stories.

She asked about my own, but we were interrupted by Aragon announcing that we had to go to class. Really? I already graduated from school and now I have to go back? This is unbelievable!

Aragon showed us the classroom to go into and when we walked in everyone stared at us. Probably because we were out of uniform, nothing to do with the wolf next to us nope...

I saw three open seats in the back thinking of Danielle and where she would be, probably still sleeping. I put my hand on TN's back urging her to follow me to the seats. She flinches from the contact but says nothing. She follows me and sits right beside me. Dark goes to lay under TN's desk.

The teacher introduced herself and went on with the lesson. Apparently it is a kind of self defense class she's talking about. Blocks and hits and things like that.

I want to try and go to sleep. I already know this stuff. I put my head down on the desk wanting to either sleep or die either one is fine.

I look over at TN and she looks just as bored as I do. It's going to be a long day.

After about 30 minutes of my wanting to bang my head against the desk, class was over but I waited until everyone left. I saw Emily packing her bag and talking to some other girls. They were laughing and then she came by me.

Ugggggg! Now I really wish to bang my head on the desk.

"Hello, Jake. How's your sister?" She said in a girly manner.

"Just great. Thanks."

"Good, maybe I can show you around sometime?" Fluttering her eyes.

I got up, unable to take this anymore. "No, thanks. I know where things are."

She seems nice but is definitely trying too hard...it's sad really.

"Well, then maybe I'll see you around."

She twirled her hair with her finger and one of the other girls called her name. She waved and left with them laughing like teenage girls do.

I looked at TN to see her response.

"Mister Popular, aren't you?" TN commented.

"Shut up." I said, but couldn't help the smile on my face as I also added, "Promise me you'll never do that. It's one of the things I like about you."

TN snorted. "Even if I did... whatever the hell that was, I'll probably do worse."

"I really doubt that and what you saw was pure desperation mixed with flirting. Don't ever go that low for someone. You are worth more than that."

TN looks at me with a blank face.

"I don't believe you." TN said.

"Why would I lie to you? I've been completely honest with you." I look at TN closely and came to the conclusion that she never trusted anyone and I think that's sad. You should at least be able to trust someone, even if it is one person.

"You barely know me." TN explained. "And I don't know you."

I shrugged. "Everyone needs at least one friend. You seem cool. I think of you as a friend."

She still looks at me with a blank look. Slowly, she gets up from her seat. Dark crawls out from under the desk. Without a word, TN walks away from me with the wolf following close behind.

To say I was shocked was an understatement. Did she really think that she's alone in the world? I mean I know you can't trust people. That's why I only trust my sister, but she seems like the kind of girl that wouldn't tell anyone your secrets and doesn't laugh at you when you have a crush.

I follow TN out the room walking fast to catch up. Once I was walking next to her, I said "I'm sorry if I offended you. I'll leave you alone if you like. Just know I think of you as a friend and you can always come to me for anything."

I start walking ahead of TN with my hands in my pockets thinking about going to my room.

I thought she was going to say something but didn't. I turn my head around and she looks at me but stays silent. I turn my head back and leave the building.

I see people from class by the training area including Emily. I didn't even bother to not notice when she waved at me. I looked at her wave and then walked right passed her, going to my room.

Once I get there, I look at Danielle's room and knock.

"Danielle, come out. You can't be upset forever." I said through the door.

She opened the door and let me in her room. I closed it.

"Yes, I can. I can die upset if I want to." She sits on her bed, crossing her legs.

"Why weren't you in class? Didn't Aragon come and get you?"

"Yes, he did. I was tempted to throw something at him to go away, but then I realized that he's just doing his job. SoI said I wasn't feeling good and he left." I looked around the room and see her bags packed again.

"Going somewhere?" I questioned.

"I'm going home." she laid on the bed like she was bored with the conversation.

"No, we're not. We are staying here."

"Says the guys who didn't want to come in the first place." She added, "Why would you want to stay here, huh? Does it have to do with a certain someone?"

I made a face. "I don't know what you're talking about. It's better here anyways. We get food and get to train with our powers."

She laughs a bitter laugh. Her face twists into a pained look.

"Leave me alone." she said. "I'm not stupid. I know you want to stay here now. I'll think about it."

With that I nod and go back to my room.