Chapter 25

~Jake's POV~

I couldn't stop crying last night. All I thought about was my mother and father and when I went to sleep, I dreamed of them.

I was about six or seven and my mother and father were getting dragged away from us. Danielle was crying and it was storming, the people then tied our parents up and burned them. I turned us away but I still saw them for some reason. I couldn't get the image out of my head.

I awoke in my bed dripped in sweet still dark outside. A nightmare I tell myself but my head only laughs and says I'm kidding myself. I get out of bed and start exercising. It's the only thing that helps me calm down. I go to take a bath and after I'm done I sit on my bed. Looks like I'm not going to get anymore sleep.

So with that I put some shorts and shoes on and grab my shirt to put on after my run. I open the door and ram into TN.

"Whoa!" TN said as she fell back.

I catch her by the arm before she can hit the ground.

"Are you ok?" I look at her all over to make sure I didn't hurt her and look lastly in her eyes.

"Yeah." she mumbled. "Watch where you are going next time."

"Sorry I was distracted" I gave her a sympathetic look and let go of her arm.

"What are you doing up so late if I might ask...or is it morning?" I asked, mumbling the last part. I really couldn't tell whether it was the next day or not which is weird as I am very good at telling what time it is.

"Why don't you look outside and check for yourself." she said.

"Oh right yeah sorry to bother you I'm not myself right now"

"Yeah. You look like shit."

I jump when Dark barks. I forget he is there sometimes.

"Dark agrees." TN translated.

"Oh well thank you both for your honesty I guess" I laugh at her words though. I never met any girl who told me I looked awful and it's kinda nice not getting compliments every five seconds by girls you don't know.

"I don't know how to be subtle." she said with a shrug. "Plus, what is the point of lying when it is obvious?"

"It's ok I rather you be honest with me anyway. And that's true I do look like shit" I laughed.

"Just go back to bed or something. It is not like you'll miss anything."

"I can't sleep" I think back to the nightmare and tighten my grip on the shirt in my hand but I shake my thoughts of it.

"You too, huh?"

"Yeah I was gonna go for a run that always clears my mind"

"Can I join you?" TN asked.

Her question catches me off guard. I didn't think that she would want to join me. "Uh yeah sure I mean of course let's go" I motion for her to walk with me to where I was going.

TN follows closely behind with Dark by her side. We didn't say anything on our way outside.

We went outside and I looked around to see where the best place to run was.

"We can run around the whole place if you want? That's what I was thinking at first. We can walk at first if you like. I don't want you to do so much after what happened" I said being very concerned about her well being.

"I'm fine. A little running wouldn't hurt me in the slightest. If it makes you feel better I did a little sparring with your sister earlier."

I looked at her with a surprised look "really? Wow ok then let's go"

I started off jogging slowly and TN followed my pace. I still wanted to be careful with her even if she said she was fine. TN notices that I am purposely starting slow so she runs a bit ahead of me. Dark also speedwalks next to her.

I smile and run faster to catch up with her. "Trying to outrun me are we?" I smiled at her.

"No." she said. "I just want to show you that you don't have to worry about me."

I shrug "I'm gonna be worried it's just how I am. I feel guilty for not catching that something was wrong earlier. I'm sorry about that" I frown a little calling myself stupid again for not thinking that something was wrong.

TN stops running suddenly, almost making me run into her. She turns around and stares straight into my eyes. Fire burns with determination in her brown eyes.

"Stop blaming yourself. You're not the one who neglected their health or anything. Plus, how could you possibly know what is going on in the first place? If you need something to worry about, worry about your sister."

I was surprised by the outburst and saddened at the same time. "When I put my blazer on you I felt how cold you were. I didn't think anything of it earlier before you passed out but as I thought about it I should have known that you were way too cold. I do worry about my sister but I neglected my health before as well too many times to count and I wouldn't want anyone else to do the same because I lost a piece of myself every time" I feel water by the corner of my eyes as I say this.

TN sighs. She turns her head to the side. For a moment, I thought I saw her cheeks redden.

"I'm not used to this." she said.

"Use to what?"

"People worrying about me. I am used to people ignoring me. I am used to people insulting me and shunning me. I am not used to someone worrying about my health. The closest to someone caring about me is Dark, but he is not human."

I frown. "Well get used to it cause I'm here to stay. You're a pretty cool girl and an awesome human being and I will beat up anyone who says differently. I know you don't trust me and that's ok it takes time to trust. The way to trust is to get to know that person and whether you think they are trustworthy" I give her a small smile.

She stares at me for a long time. I shift from one leg to the other. I was afraid that I offended her. I open my mouth, but she stops me from saying anything. TN bends forward. Her shoulders shake. At first I thought she was going to cry, but then I heard her chuckling. She then suddenly starts to laugh out loud. She laughs so hard that tears form at the corner of her eyes.

"You." She lets out, trying to catch her breath. "You are the strangest person I have ever met."

I smile knowing I made her laugh is an accomplishment in my book "I'll take that as a compliment. I'm glad I could make you laugh though."

"It has been a while since I laughed like that." she said. "I think the last time was when Dark had his head stuck in a tree."

I laugh "aw poor fella. Well now you know if you ever need a laugh I can always do something stupid and that I'm always here if you need me ok?"

Dark lets out a low growl. TN tries to not laugh but fails.

I laugh with her as I continue to walk and then stop and turn to her and say "after you my lady"

TN snorts but did not protest as she walks ahead of me. Dark walks just behind her.

I jog to catch up with her and stay by her side as we finish walking in silence.

AN: Sorry for the sporadic updates. School has been stressful especially recently. So to make up for it, I posted two chapters today. I hope it you would forgive us for being slow. I would also like to announce that I will be posting either every other week or once a month. Possibly once a month. Anyways, I hope you enjoy the two chapters and until next time, bye.